600-700hp E40D what is nessesary?

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Look at tcs for the billet parts or we can get them for you we are a dealer. On top of your list I would get a billet od planet from tcs. Also machine the center support for a support ring.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
what shaft material are you going to get? doubt it will be what brian uses.. unless you order it all from him.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe with machining cost, cryo cost, shipping, etc that it can be that much cheaper than a bts and hold up as well.

im with you man! but to each his own... its been argued a million times on here. the cost alone on a set of 300m shafts for one trans will be expensive as hell vs someone ordering a few huny at a time....

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Don't lose that hot rodder spirit! It's easier to write a check and let someone else build it, but it's more satisfying to get your hands dirty and figure it out for yourself.

If you want to, and you can afford the downtime on the truck, then go for it!

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am all about doing things myself, the full frame off rebuild that I am doing on my 2003 is proof of that, but like injector building, there are somethings that I think are better left to those that know more than me.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
my transmission overhaul took a long time. But to save costs tear down your transmission and send off the stock shafts and I'd also recommend the flex plate too. I sent my stuff to a company called "300 below" and their costs were very reasonable. also be sure to pull the plug on the forward drum and tap the hole to accept a set screw to sit flush (the plug has a tendency to back out under high line pressure and main pressure). you can get steel planetarys out of a 4R100 and you can have these cryo frozen also if you want to beef these up. I enjoyed building the transmission myself it was extremely stressful but now I have the whole rebuild process memorized and I can say I was able to do it myself. Remember the secret to a transmission to hold alot of power isn't a bunch of thin clutches and steels but quite the opposite. If the line pressure can be applied accordingly and if the main pressure and clutch clearance is tight enough the stock clutches will hold more power and stand up to the heat even better then any after market clutch on the market. If the clutch doesn't get a chance to slip then it won't build excessive heat which means the clutch wont break down. Good luck on your build.

mandkole

Reaction score
early99s comments are on point. I race with a local guy whos has 2 trans shops and has built/broke a few e4ODs and 4R100s-- we've discussed these very points noted a few times. Correctly managing the trans controls is as big of a job as having good parts in key places. I don't have a truck that would need to hold 1200 lb/ft but many of the requirements are the same after you are over 700-800 lb/ft.

You only learn if you try. If you just want the BTS, go buy it-- but, I agree that having a local guy to support you is much easier than having to ship it somewhere.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
See that is where im at a cross road..you can put all the beefy parts in you want but if you dont do one little thing right, you risk breaking something and have to pull the trans apart again..so it comes down to how much money/time you want to spend figuring out what you already pay for with a JW/BTS..

old man dave

Reaction score
I've had a BTS since 2003 and it was built for the 400hp I had at the time. Now that I have a B-code engine to install, BTS will upgrade it to the present specs and throw in a new torque convertor for less than a tenth of what it cost me in 2003.

My brother had his E4OD go out and had his rebuilt with a local "performance" rebuilt for $3000. 40K miles later, the trans needed another rebuild since it could not handle the power of the "stock '94 turbo IDI". I have 85Kmiles on mine with a 400hp PSD driven hard and no problems for the $3400 cost (2003).

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I don't know where you got all these ideas, but Brian Does build some of the parts he puts in his trannys, and NOBODY else has them.....when you're running 1000 hp, and an E4OD is staying together behind it, I'd say that's prettty good....a high percentage of the draggers and sled pullers use HIS transmissions for a damn good reason, they stay together !

you want to try building a trans for 600hp ? good luck.... and good luck getting somebody that DOES build one outta your idea of what parts to put in it giving you any kind of warranty.

Brian makes a living building EXCELLANT transmissions, and by treating his customers right, and I for one am a VERY satisfied customer, mainly because the trans was installed three years ago and it hasn't done anything, anything but WORK...... and when this truck moves, it is always hauling my 30 ' 5er, and it weights 21,000lbs combined, so it's under a pretty good load everywhere it goes.

suit yourself, you will anyway, but I consider the money I spent on my BTS, a VERY worthwhile investment.

It ain't about how much it costs.......it's all about it NOT going "CLUNK" out in the middle of NoDamnWhere, in the middle of the night......

Last edited:

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
I had a precision converter, racerx rebuild kit, better center support, billet input, 6 rooler plant. , sonnax tricum spring, a cheap b&m shift kit, and a local guy build it. Somwhere in the 2500 range for a one time build and held up great to pulling.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I'm 25k miles in on on mine and 2 seasons of plowing, still shifts the same as the day we put it in. BTS and JW arent the only people out there that can build a trans...

goodstktbo

Reaction score
Mines taken some beating. Billet input, forward drum. 3,500 in it with PI spraggless converter. 650 hp or so. Carsons trans guy built it.

Latest posts

Members online