7.3 Blocks. Anyone heard of this???

04stroker

Reaction score
I had someone tell me that a 2003 block should always be used in a high horsepower 7.3 build because because "it has more thickness and was made with more supports inside around the cylinder for strength" than the 94.5-97 blocks.

I have never heard of this honestly and just wasn't sure as I am not a huge 7.3 guy and don't keep up with them a lot. Anyone know one way or the other for sure?

ToMang07

Reaction score
I had someone tell me that a 2003 block should always be used in a high horsepower 7.3 build because because "it has more thickness and was made with more supports inside around the cylinder for strength" than the 94.5-97 blocks.

I have never heard of this honestly and just wasn't sure as I am not a huge 7.3 guy and don't keep up with them a lot. Anyone know one way or the other for sure?

I think it was just a little more meat on the 99-on blocks versus the OBS blocks.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'll try to dig out my "Powerstroke Bible", has pics showing the difference from the early 7.3's, to the later with the stronger blocks. Pretty sure the changeover was 96/97

superpsd

Reaction score
For starters the early block does not have the Webs across the lifter valley. Think it was like in late 96 when they made the changes?

1005dp_01%2Bdiesel_power%2B2002_ford_f250_power_stroke_diesel_rebuild%2Blong_block.jpg

ce16_1.jpg

Last edited:

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is just the webbing thing that was changed but the blocks should all be good from 97 and up. I used a 97 block when I built my motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I remember reading in a book I got from a Ford mechanic that the valley was slightly thicker and the webbing in the lifter area, but don't remember anything about the cylinders. I also remember the cranks and pistons being different too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.