7.3 bore .020 or hone

davejr

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my spare engine from a 95 that was low mi (140k).Dropped block off to Klispie Machine in Hamburg Ny who is my go to shop around here.They cleaned and magd it up for me & called me today to give me options which are.
1)hone the bores reuse stock pistons and put in New rings
2)bore .020 with new pistons and rings
Is there any disadvantage to reusing pistons or boring .020 that any of you more experienced guys have seen that I should be aware of.This is my first diesel engine build and I don't want any problems.I've built my Mustangs engine problem free and my Jeeps 4.0 so I have the ability.I also have the t444e shop manual on CD Rom from ebay which is worth the $20 I paid for it.Thanks

davejr

Reaction score
They have a torque plate and they asked to bring in my arp studs which are BNIB with the new pistons(if I decide to bore).Not getting crazy maybe 400-450.I will probably stay with the injector I have (160/80)or move to a 238 or 250cc injector later on and t4 setup.I got the other engine that was in the truck out today and took the pan off and that one looks pretty damn clean too cross hatches still there pistons don't have hot spots.Too bad all but 3 manifold bolts had to be cut because they were rusted solid.

davejr

Reaction score
Just going to do the bore .020.I was pricing around and I seem to have found the best deal on Mahle pistons part #
224-3163-20 and rings part #41768-20 and mahle/clevite cam rod and main bearings for $781 with the free shipping @ East Coast Diesel.I know about the motorcraft kits but ive already got oil cooler and all the gaskets and seals covered since this was originally supposed to be a reseal and stud with 910-16 springs going in but I never seen the engine run so I took it all the way down.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Make sure the machine shop has the pistons in their possession prior to bore/honing the block so they can size the cylinders to the exact piston size.

Also look into beehives instead of the 910s. The beehives are a better spring.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

neverkickn

Reaction score
Make sure the machine shop has the pistons in their possession prior to bore/honing the block so they can size the cylinders to the exact piston size.

Also look into beehives instead of the 910s. The beehives are a better spring.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you need more pressure maybe but for a mild/stockish build I am not sure they are worth the money.

davejr

Reaction score
I already have 910s on the shelf and the shop said the same thing about pistons so I got them ordered up today along with main,cam and rod bearings from East Coast Diesel.Machine shop bill should be $735 plus $781 for the pistons rings bearings and another $112.50 for Riff Raffs welded oil jets and new bolts for them so $1628 for a fresh short block and I already had a new melling lpop and oil pan/moroso oil pan gasket BNIB on the shelf.I've been buying parts for a year now getting ready to do this after I bought the new transmission.

Latest posts

Members online