7.3 crank no start no smoke

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
Working on a 2002 Expedition that has a crank no start condition all of the time, no white smoke. I have tried all of the obvious. It is building 2,000 PSI plus HPO while cranking, passes injector buzz test just fine, good low pressure fuel, good HPOP oil level, cranking at 140 ish RPM, good PCM battery voltage, no stored codes. I have no issues data streaming all of the PID's so I assume the ECM is fine. There are a couple of things that have me curious. One is that it still reads 2,000 ish PSI HPO while cranking with the ICP unplugged, and the other is that there is not any injector pulse width being commanded.

Arisley

Reaction score
Does it have a chip. If so, pull the chip. Also, 2000 PSI HPO with or with ICP sensor plugged in usually means the ICP sensor is bad. What is battery voltage while cranking?

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
Does it have a chip. If so, pull the chip. Also, 2000 PSI HPO with or with ICP sensor plugged in usually means the ICP sensor is bad. What is battery voltage while cranking?

No chip. Battery voltage while cranking is 11.4-11.8. I put a new ICP in and it didn't make a difference in the readings. It is odd that while data streaming the ICP PID reads/acts the same. No idea why it would have a reading that changes PSI while unplugged and cranking.

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
No chip. Battery voltage while cranking is 11.4-11.8. I put a new ICP in and it didn't make a difference in the readings. It is odd that while data streaming the ICP PID reads/acts the same. No idea why it would have a reading that changes PSI while unplugged and cranking.

Yes good fuel pressure

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
Wait to start coil does come on. Does the PATS disable the injector pulse width? It did throw a PATS disable code yesterday, I would assume that would disable it from running. The PATS light is flashing while cranking, and all of the time for that matter. Not sure if that is normal, don't do a lot of 7.3 Excursion stuff anymore and I don't believe the 7.3 Super Duty came with PATS. I did swap in a good IDM, IPR, ICP that I keep around, but nothing changed, figured it wouldn't because everything looked good data streaming it. All of the PID's other than pulse width look great and it should fire. They just told me that someone was in the column doing shifter stalk bushings so I am wondering if they messed up something with the PATS wiring going to the ignition switch while in there. I data streamed another 7.3 at the shop and it did command pulse width just prior to firing which makes sense. I have not hooked up a mechanical HPO gauge but after digging into the PATS that will be my next step. Keep the ideas coming, I have tried most of the "typical" stuff related to a no start!

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
Just though I would give an update if anyone else had this issue. There was a broken wire #43 coming off of the central junction block that fed power to the Passive anit theft transducer module. Fixed it up and it runs like a champ. The PATS does pull the injector pulse width out and disable the engine.

Latest posts

Members online