7.3 cylinder 3 contribution fault nightmare.

TARM

Reaction score
Best to always have 2 extras so you can take your time and get the delphi proper ones.

ghohouston

Reaction score
That's what I'm gathering from previous posts, but now I can't seem to find the hts101g for sale. None of them have the (g).

I know about every other aftermarket one out there I have had to replace for all kinds of stupid reasons.

And the ford updated ones can and do give all kinds of screwy ccts, rough idles, extended cranks, etc..

Yep, the grey ford sensors seem to always throw 3 and or 8 on contribution

TARM

Reaction score
The BWD one will work well also but you must be sure to put the wiper motor on its own ground OR make sure the wiper motor is not as old as the truck LOL. That one worked very well but it was sensitive to dirty feedback from that wiper motor and people with the older not working so great motors would get cut out when they turned on the wipers. But again it was a relatively easy fix and frankly who knows what other small issues those bad grounds etc are causing or are the tipping point of other issues???

D66stroke

Reaction score
Anyone know a good source to the Delphi ones? I looked and keep coming up with the sensor without the "G" at the end of the part number lol

TARM

Reaction score
I will see if I can get a line on the G ones. I am rather good at finding things

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Have heard mixed reviews on the Delphi one. However, I juts have a hard time trusting aftermarket CPS' when they have left so many people stranded so many times. At least the Ford gray one normally keeps the engine running, even if it doesn't run the best.

I have tried a few of the different CPS' in my truck. Nothing beats the original black one though...

intblackcps_zpsdcmbkk0m.jpg

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Yes but it was actually delphi that made the original one for Ford and IH alliant rebox as far as I have been able to find out.

I can not find a single case of the delphi hts101G that was the actual CPS issue.
Let not forget there was a full 7.3 recall on those OH so great black CPS for the very reason of leaving many people stranded on the side of the road. You can find lots of old threads complaining about them on the forums that were actually around before the recall. TDS Ford-Truck are a couple.

Sure if we had known we were going to be worse perf and failed self tests for a bit more reliability many of us would have been very happy to stay with the old blacks. Thing is they had real issues just leaving you on the side of the road especially when it was wet out. I had 4 of them do this in 3 different 7.3 trucks under 100K. Then had one that went 280K never an issue.

The thing with the aged engines and ones with extra power you have cam walk and gear issues that are creating issues. Then you have aging wiper motors sending higher levels of EMI thru the shared ground. These all create issues that really have not much to do with the CPS and were never thought of until the spotlight was put on the CPS.

From what I have been able to tell the BW work just as well as the org black and delphi-G ones as long as you isolate the ground of the wiper motor or replace the motor as it is going out and that EMI might have effect on others. I have not checked what else shares that common ground.

One way to do a quick and dirty test if you have a delphi G or BW is find the largest drill bit or nut it can pickup and then try that same one on any new one. Heck you could do it right at the store and choose not to pay for it if it does not pick it up.

I am actually planning on calling Delphi CS and seeing where I can get on if those sensors for the G are still having production runs in the future and if not what we can find out are the spec tech differences. Then again I am talking to a company that is trading at $$5-6 Billion so who knows how far I will get.

What is so stupid about this is its nothing but a freak'n hall sensor. Its one of the most basic tech sensors out there. Our issues are in only really two areas: dimensions for protrusion and depth of magnet. Second: choice of magnet strength. Not the circuit board or its tolerances etc. Nothing overly tech. Give us a magnet of sufficient strength and mounted close enough to the pickup. Done and done.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I would kill to have the old black ones back.

I can't seem to find the Delphi one with the "g" actually for sale anywhere.

If someone does please post a link.
I have 6 or 8 of them.. lol
I've had good luck with the delphi black hts101g's. They have a larger magnet on them. I believw someone told me a while back delphi was who made the original black cps's, but dont quote me on that.
yuppers
Yes but it was actually delphi that made the original one for Ford and IH alliant rebox as far as I have been able to find out.

I can not find a single case of the delphi hts101G that was the actual CPS issue.
Let not forget there was a full 7.3 recall on those OH so great black CPS for the very reason of leaving many people stranded on the side of the road. You can find lots of old threads complaining about them on the forums that were actually around before the recall. TDS Ford-Truck are a couple.

Sure if we had known we were going to be worse perf and failed self tests for a bit more reliability many of us would have been very happy to stay with the old blacks. Thing is they had real issues just leaving you on the side of the road especially when it was wet out. I had 4 of them do this in 3 different 7.3 trucks under 100K. Then had one that went 280K never an issue.

The thing with the aged engines and ones with extra power you have cam walk and gear issues that are creating issues. Then you have aging wiper motors sending higher levels of EMI thru the shared ground. These all create issues that really have not much to do with the CPS and were never thought of until the spotlight was put on the CPS.

From what I have been able to tell the BW work just as well as the org black and delphi-G ones as long as you isolate the ground of the wiper motor or replace the motor as it is going out and that EMI might have effect on others. I have not checked what else shares that common ground.

One way to do a quick and dirty test if you have a delphi G or BW is find the largest drill bit or nut it can pickup and then try that same one on any new one. Heck you could do it right at the store and choose not to pay for it if it does not pick it up.

I am actually planning on calling Delphi CS and seeing where I can get on if those sensors for the G are still having production runs in the future and if not what we can find out are the spec tech differences. Then again I am talking to a company that is trading at $$5-6 Billion so who knows how far I will get.

What is so stupid about this is its nothing but a freak'n hall sensor. Its one of the most basic tech sensors out there. Our issues are in only really two areas: dimensions for protrusion and depth of magnet. Second: choice of magnet strength. Not the circuit board or its tolerances etc. Nothing overly tech. Give us a magnet of sufficient strength and mounted close enough to the pickup. Done and done.
again, so glad to see you back on here.. always love reading your posts sir!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
just out of habbit.. and in case a fellow 7.3 owner is in dyer need, I keep this in my 6.7.. lol

e161cc2772de069237042d460d58919e.jpg

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Latest posts

Members online