7.3 low power issue

56FordGuy

Reaction score
Tuck is a 2001 F-350, 227,000 miles with a manual transmission. No performance mods, running the Ford severe duty intake and a 4" exhaust with a muffler. Over the last few months it seems like it's lost power, and just last week I noticed that when shifting gears at 1800-2000 rpm I was getting a puff of black smoke from the exhaust when the truck was empty, and a light haze when accelerating with a trailer hooked on.

I found both exhaust manifolds and one up pipe donut leaking, I installed manifold gaskets and bellowed up pipes last week. Test drove the truck and found no change, still smoking. I connected AutoEngenuity last night just to see if it could point to anything. There are no codes, but sitting at idle my MAP was 11.4 and EBP was 14.0. I think the MAP is right, I live in Wyoming at roughly 6,000' elevation. With no load at 1500 rpm, MAP was 11.3 and EBP was 15.7. I haven't taken a road test with AE hooked up, my laptop battery is shot and it has to be plugged in to stay on. I think my next step is to hook up a boost leak tester and crawl over it with some soapy water, and if that doesn't turn up the problem then buy a laptop battery and record it with AE going down the road. I was just wondering if the EBP being so much higher than the MAP points to anything, or if it's fairly irrelevant since the truck was sitting in the driveway.

Not sure if it's a related issue or not, but on cold starts of about 40* or below the truck puts out white smoke that will make your eyes sting and fuel mileage has never been better than 12-13 mph empty if I baby it. It's got 4:10 gears so I just figured the mileage was due to that, but maybe it's all related to the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

56FordGuy

Reaction score
Injectors were done at 196,000 miles. Truck wouldn't start below 50*, injectors were done by a PSD shop and starting issue was resolved. Went about 1,200 miles and cracked an injector nozzle. Shop did a second set of injectors, went about the same mileage and cracked another nozzle. Shop had truck a 3rd time, claimed to have done compression test, etc looking for cause of injector failures. They said everything was good then, but went through 7 sets of injectors before they got one that would idle correctly. Truck has been alright since then, except for the poor mileage and some unrelated issues.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
If the EBP is bad (and reading wrong) it will negatively affect fuel mileage. The Map and EBP should roughly read to same key on engine off.

79jasper

Reaction score
I would say junk injectors. Ask that shop where they get them.
With that many bad sets, I would guess dcp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Make sure the tube is still clear going to the EBP sender. Based on its age, Id also suggest the compression check just to eliminate that issue. If that is good, then keep moving to the injector inspection. Theres a lot of junky injectors out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online