7.3 no high idle or cruise control

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
need help been chasing this for 2 weeks now. it first started out the truck wasn't wanting to start every time like the starter solenoid was out but I could start it by crossing the terminals but it only did it once ever two weeks or so. next i found out that when its been getting cold outside it wont idle up like it used to and tonight as i was coming home i tried to use the cruise control and no go on it. so i don't know what it could be iv replaced the clutch safety switch the oil temp sensor and the intake air temp sensor in the air box but not the one in the y where the intercooler pipes connect. I'm stumped and to be honest its really pissing me off. any information at all on this would be greatly appreciated.

dmd

Reaction score
I just had the Cruise issue. There is a hard to see switch on the master cylinder
that went out, it is the secondary shutoff switch for cruise. It will turn cruse
off if the brake switch doesnt work. On my 2k the switch is on a 45 angle toward
the engine close to the air box, so it is hard to see standing to the side of the truck.
Mine was also leaking brake fluid. This is the same switch that had the recall for burning
trucks up when it failed. The recall put a pig-tail that had a fuse in it.

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
I just had the Cruise issue. There is a hard to see switch on the master cylinder
that went out, it is the secondary shutoff switch for cruise. It will turn cruse
off if the brake switch doesnt work. On my 2k the switch is on a 45 angle toward
the engine close to the air box, so it is hard to see standing to the side of the truck.
Mine was also leaking brake fluid. This is the same switch that had the recall for burning
trucks up when it failed. The recall put a pig-tail that had a fuse in it.

Trying to get truck to connect to ae to see if I can get it figured out

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
Ok so I got the truck scanned with the newest version of ae I'm getting multiple codes
P1536
P0220
P0704
P0571
P0703
P0656
P0566
P0500
P1298
P0605
And I think there were a few more related to the speed sensor but like a dummy I cleared all dtc and this is all that comes back every time now.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Ok so I got the truck scanned with the newest version of ae I'm getting multiple codes
P1536
P0220
P0704
P0571
P0703
P0656
P0566
P0500
P1298
P0605
And I think there were a few more related to the speed sensor but like a dummy I cleared all dtc and this is all that comes back every time now.
The speed sensor is a fairly inexpensive part and very easy to replace. My cruise control would randomly shut off for awhile before the speed sensor finally went out completely.

I'm guessing you have a multitude of problems causing you issues. If the starting problem seems to have been fixed, try the speed sensor. That may fix the cruise issue, then you can worry about the high idle.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I had a leak in my degas bottle at the top and if the level got down bout 2 or 3 " below level it wouldn't idle up. One morning I poured antifreeze in and it hit that level and idled right up,and fan kicked on. Not that you're low but might have a thermostat sticking. My cruise control is messed up to. Having a time figuring it out.

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
I'm thinking that whatever is causing the cruise not to work is also causing the high idle to not work. I swear thon I'm just stumped... the speed sensor code hasn't came back tho. I'm gonna re scan it again today after work n see what I get then I'm gonna try the brake switch on the brake master

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
Turns out that the couch safety switch wasn't locked into the fire wall and it was cause in it to seem like the clutch was pushed in. So I'm guessing it went bad then when I installed the new one I didn't seat it

Latest posts

Members online