7.3 Questions and insight.

BIGISLAND7.3

Reaction score
so right now i have a 2002, ECLB 7.3 with a zf6 manual and was wondering will a DP-Tuner wake up my truck?, is it worth the money?, and how much does it run for? , any recommended tunes???. Also if i were to get a turbo will a 38r do just fine WITHOUT injectors? if not what injectors will be good for a 38r, My truck is mainly used as a DD and a Work truck to haul around tools, and the truck seems to be getting old and needs more power, and also to shut up the other diesels here on the islands which are running boxed tunes and blowing smoke and just acting dumb. Any information will be appreciated , thanks.:fordoval:

jdgleason

Reaction score
A dp tuner will wake your truck up quite a bit. I am not 100% how much they run, but you will notice a huge difference. Any good tuning is worth its weight in gold IMO and if at all possible find some good custom tunes from a vendor on this site. A 38r will work really well a stock tuned truck. You will have low temps and a clean burning truck. You can run injectors with a 38r, just dont want to go very big. I will let someone else chime in on sizes.

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
A dp tuner will wake your truck up quite a bit. I am not 100% how much they run, but you will notice a huge difference. Any good tuning is worth its weight in gold IMO and if at all possible find some good custom tunes from a vendor on this site. A 38r will work really well a stock tuned truck. You will have low temps and a clean burning truck. You can run injectors with a 38r, just dont want to go very big. I will let someone else chime in on sizes.

:whs:
The 38r is a direct drop-in replacement turbo for the stocker and works fine on stock injectored trucks.

Some have run 238cc injectors and absolutely loved the combo. Still others have run larger injectors and just made sure the tuners kept fueling and egt's under control.

I would definitely get the chip with custom tunes first and see how you like the power difference. After all if you decide to get injectors later you will need a chip to run them anyway.

Plus if you end up with bigger injectors down the road you may need to start looking into supporting mods such as headstuds, pushrods, valvesprings, etc. Just things to think about.

On edit: Most custom chips with tunes range from 400-600 dollars depending on what tunes you chose.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
On edit: Most custom chips with tunes range from 400-600 dollars depending on what tunes you chose.

and fwiw, just cuz the chip has 6 positions, doesnt mean you need all 6. maybe talk to the tuner you decide on, and see if maybe you could get it cheaper if you only get, say 3 tunes. a tow tune, a high idle, and a extreme tune. im not saying you can, just worth a question, if budget is a issue.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think Jody was just out there doing live tuning this year on some trucks.

Latest posts

Members online