7.3 Trans Temp?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
My Glowshift trans gauge broke so i'm using my spare SCT for trans temp. Where does the the PCM pull the trans temp from? Just cruising the trans temp can get to 230 -250 just cruising is that right? the trans has less than 30,000 miles on it. When ford put it in they put a new cooler and lines.

Last edited:

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
The factory TFT sensor is located in the solenoid pack of the valve body. Refer the the attached picture.
You shouldn't be seeing 230-250 cruising empty. Something is funky.
What was your glow**** gauge reading before it broke? Temperature variance between the test port and solenoid pack should be minimal, so if you noticed a spike when you started using the ODBII port for the reading I would suspect an issue with the factory sensor. You can check the solenoid body connector for dirt/debris that would cause the TFT sensor to malfunction, and ohm out the connector. I'll see if I can find the ohm procedure.

Attachments

• e4od-solenoid-body.jpg
    e4od-solenoid-body.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 113

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
The factory TFT sensor is located in the solenoid pack of the valve body. Refer the the attached picture.
What was your glow**** gauge reading before it broke? Temperature variance between the test port and solenoid pack should be minimal, so if you noticed a spike when you started using the ODBII port for the reading I would suspect an issue with the factory sensor. You can check the solenoid body connector for dirt/debris that would cause the TFT sensor to malfunction, and ohm out the connector. I'll see if I can find the ohm procedure.

Thanks Backwoods I never did get a full actual temp reading because it broke a day after I put them in (Glowshift Quality For Ya).

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Do you know the max preset trans temp that kicks the trans in limp mode and flashes the O/D light?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The factory sensor will see temps well above the test port, average is 10-20* depending on the conditions...

That being said seeing 230* empty is concerning.

alradco

Reaction score
It's got to be a bad reading or something is seriously wrong. Pulling my trailer through the sand my trans doesn't get to 200.

Attachments

• trailer (Custom).jpg
    trailer (Custom).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 57

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
The factory sensor will see temps well above the test port, average is 10-20* depending on the conditions...

That being said seeing 230* empty is concerning.

It's got to be a bad reading or something is seriously wrong. Pulling my trailer through the sand my trans doesn't get to 200.

270* is where the trans goes into limp mode, IIRC.

I know something fishy LOL. If I 50% throttle for about a minute the SCT goes up to 262 was the highest I seen. When ford replace the trans they replaced the trans wring harnesses and sensors tranny lines and trans cooler.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Okay guys please clarify this for me I got under the truck and looked at the trans tag. It reads F81Z7V000LBRM. I typed it into Google and it came up with on one thread it listed out all the trans and said this
1999 4R100HD Super Duty 4X4 F250, 350, 450, 550 7.3L F81Z7V000LBRM
6U2Z7V000LRM TRM-1622.

Sorry I lost the receipt when ford put it in so IDK myself. But when I type the F8 Part # it into ford parts website it comes up with

Automatic Transmission - 4R100; 7.3L without PTO provisions - 4x4 - F81P-L*;XC3P-L*;YC3P-F*; Regular Duty.

But if I go off of the TRM-1622 part # it gets this
7V000
(TRM-1622)
Auto Trans Assembly
Automatic Transmission - 4R100; 7.3L - 4x4 - F81P-L*; Heavy Duty 4R100 without PTO provision - see FMCDealer.com for details
$3,469.33

So can anybody clarify this for me is it a HD or SD?

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Okay the 7.3 at ford right now and the service mechanics called hotline and they said that hot line said that 270 is a regular temp? Witch I know is bullsh** because I've seen 7.3's on youtube that run 200 max towing a heavy load and you guys also told me that 270 is starting to burn the trans up.. So IDK whats happening. LOL

Latest posts

Members online