71 vs 72 atmo?

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Did some research and it was mostly posts back to '13.
Found posts where not all 71's had the same wheels, etc. The question im curious about, is there a noticeable difference between a 71 and 72?

It would be with a stock high pressure, truck has ih pistons (not cut), stage 2 colt cam. used mostly for towing 13,000 lbs.

Thanks.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
yes, the 72 is a good bit stronger, 15hp or more. Let me now if i can help you with either !

B585Ford

Reaction score
JD did some testing for Elite comparing the 71 and 72 a few yrs ago. I can't remember the exact results but I thought the difference was closer to 20-30 HP. Of course, your cam may change those results slightly.

From 1st hand experience, when I used to hot shot, I had a 71 with all the air mods and stock VGT, stock fuel, stock internals. Typically grossed 28-33k lbs and it did great. I almost never had to worry about EGTs and still had reasonable spool up. If it is in your budget, I would go ahead do the 72 for a few hundred dollars more although I don't have direct experience with a 72. I do really like my 76 (JHP) that is on my truck now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.