99-01 motor swap into 02/03 truck ?s

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Swapped a 01' manual motor into an 02' auto truck obveousley i swapped the diffrent battery leads etc. however im still having 2 issues after getting it running.

1.Now the trucks temp guage reads somewhat warm on cold start (40 degrees) and after 5 min of idle (not warm yet) the guage is spiked on hot. The engine appears to have 2 temp sensors HOWEVER the 02' truck originally had a 2000 engine in it so i used that harness since it was in better shape. That harness only had one plug for coolant temp. My assumtion at this point is the 01' harness utilzed the resistance from both sensors to give an accurate reading but now that i only have 1 plugged in there is not enough resistance and the guage is spiking cause a check guages light correct? Could i get a regular sensor thats meant for just one plug and swap it in to be fine?

2. There is a battery light on and with my scanner i can see there is only 13.2V (alt not charging). I was told by a guy that had done a late modle engine swap before that you need to jumper 12v from battery to the orange/blue wire on the alt plug to get it to charge and sure as shoot as soon as i put a jumper lead on, i get my 14.4v and battery light goes out. Now my question is why? And is there a way around having to do this?

Any info greatly appriciated!!

co04cobra

Reaction score
02 harness won't interchange with 01 back and most manual trucks had 2 ect sensors.

The spot for the 2nd one has a pipe plug in the front cover to the right side of the water pump.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Can i put a temp sensor out of an auto truck that is only meant for 1 sensor in place and have it work fine? Also, will jumping in that hot lead to make the alt. Charge hurt anything? I know you said it cost you your pcm but do you know exactly what caused it?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
The pin out on the 42 pin connector is different. It was feeding voltage back to the pcm on a pin it wasn't supposed to. Ran for 2-3 hours great then just died.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Gotcha, yea even after swapping temp sensors im still getting the guage spiking aswell. Im thinking the resistance potential is diffrent too. Just an absolute pain. If knew this i would have just swapped a running 02/03 motor back in.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I swapped a 2000 engine into my 2003 with no issues. Just used the 2003 harness.

Might of had to swap a sensor or 2 but don't remember now as that was 6+ years ago.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
If you use the harness, you shouldn't have an issue. My problem is i bought the 02' needing an engine and there was a 2000 engine/harness in it. Why its waking out now with the same harness just on a 2001 engine, i dont know...im puzzled.

Arisley

Reaction score
Move all the sensors from your old motor and use the harness from your old motor.

Also remember, the there are two connectors that are the same, one of them is the IPR connector, another one is I think EBPV. They are close enough together that you can swap them out.

Last edited:

powerstroker66

Reaction score
UPDATE: sourced a 02' harness and instaled. It fixed my alt. Charging issue but the temp guage is still spiking. I did some research and found it needes the newer style gray plastic sensor part # 3F1Z12A648A. Should this fix my temp guage spike issue?

Latest posts

Members online