99 f450 no crank

dmistak617

Reaction score
Buying a f450 box truck and it doesn't crank. It'll make one big thunk noise and nothing else. If I turn the key and hold it, the fan will spin. New starter and it does the same thing. Although the starter got really hot, I'm thinking I got a dud. Going to pick up 2 new batteries( probably ever start from Walmart, don't plan on keeping it long ) get the starter replaced, clean terminals, and run new battery cables. Any other ideas? What new cables do I need to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmistak617

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430759169.666679.jpg

dmistak617

Reaction score
They said it ran when they parked it, which was about a month ago. Which makes me think batteries or the cable is corroded. Which cable do I need to be looking at

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Does the motor turn over by hand? U could put power and ground right to the starter via jumper cables.

dmistak617

Reaction score
I haven't tried that yet, don't have a breaker bar to reach it. The fan turns over slowly so it makes me think it isnt locked up

dmistak617

Reaction score
Batteries didn't do anything. getting a replacement starter tomorrow and gonna see what that does. Think I got a dud reman

mustube

Reaction score
A couple of things:
What fan are you talking about "turning over"? The fan didn't move, and there is a fan clutch so you can still turn the fan without the motor turning over.

After you have turned the motor over by hand to make sure it isn't locked up, take your jumper cables put one end not the positive and negative of the battery posts and the other ends directly on the starter, the positive on the large lug on the solenoid (the solenoid ON the starter) and the negative on one of the mounting bolts then use the key to try and start it.

mustube

Reaction score
When people say turn the motor over, they mean take a socket and put it on the crank bolt and turn it with either a ratchet or a breaker bar. I wouldn't continue throwing parts at it, it's way cheaper to properly diagnose it. Did you bench test either of the starters you have tried?

dmistak617

Reaction score
Yes the fan in fact did move.. It's hard to see in the video as it moves very slowly. And I will try the jumper cable things later today. Also I know what they mean by turn it over by hand I'm doing that later too

dmistak617

Reaction score
A couple of things:
What fan are you talking about "turning over"? The fan didn't move, and there is a fan clutch so you can still turn the fan without the motor turning over.

After you have turned the motor over by hand to make sure it isn't locked up, take your jumper cables put one end not the positive and negative of the battery posts and the other ends directly on the starter, the positive on the large lug on the solenoid (the solenoid ON the starter) and the negative on one of the mounting bolts then use the key to try and start it.

And by doing the jumper cables, id be eliminating the battery cables, so if it runs from being jumped like that, all fingers would be pointing at the cables
, right?

Last edited:

dmistak617

Reaction score
Well she's hydrolocked. Gonna pull the glow plugs and hope I don't have a bent rod. One of the injectors or multiple ones are dumping fuel into the cylinder and goes straight to the oil.. Drained oil and it's mostly fuel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.