AC System replacement

TexasJ

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am replacing the ac compressor, condensor, dryer, evaporator, and all Orings lines and hoses on my 96 F250. After I do this I plan on driving it to my mechanic to have him charge the system properly. My question is: will it damage the compressor or any of the new components if I install everything and then drive it without any freon or pag oil in the lines? If so, can this be avoided by disconnecting the electrical pigtail from the compressor? Or perhaps by leaving one of the hoses disconnected for air to escape? I don't want to risk putting all these new parts in only to have them get destroyed by driving 5 miles without fluid in the system.

cbrown

Reaction score
Unplug the compressor if you want to feel good about it. But the pressure switch wont let the compressor engage with an empty system anyways.

C2tuck

Reaction score
I did this on a dodge a few years ago. My compressor came with the pag oil and the plug you put the oil in was the “drain” plug once installed. I put the pag oil in it and drove it about the same distance to have it charged with no issue.

Latest posts

Members online