Actually have to do a brake job. Are there any good aftermarket brake pads and rotors

Jomax

Reaction score
Actually have to do a brake job. Are there any good aftermarket brake pads an...

Yup.. they work fine until you put a little heat in them.

I never had luck With ANY rotor on my 99-2004s they all warp. The Bosch just lasted longer. If they warp, I warranty them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Halestorm55

Reaction score
Ceramics last longer because they are a harder material and seem to "produce" less dust since it is clear/light colored. they do decent on a street car or 1/2 ton. They are consistent till they fade, where as semis grip better the hotter they get until they actually try to make one with the rotor and warp the hell out of them or boil the brake fluid. Carbon compounds have the same positive feel but will not make one with the rotor. The performance frictions that jomax said are very good and if I still worked there I would have them. If you can find someone that sells wagner severe duty pads they are a similar mix and do very well but they do dust and are about half the cost. Hawk and EBC are very good if you can wait the couple days and lay out $150 on pads. For me the cost vs performance is almost moot with the systems on the trucks. If the 14+ fronts would fit on the older knuckles then that would be the way to go. More rotor + bigger caliper = more squeeze as the actual pad face is pretty much the same size. Remember factory or the upper line rotors are the only way to go. They are usually made in the same factory but the runout specs are better to start with. I wouldn't do slotted on our trucks. It takes longer for the pads to heat up for the consistent feel.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
On my 2013+ style brake conversion I went with all OEM Ford parts, for the meantime. PF Carbons were not available yet, I didn't know anything about LTS Hawk pads, and I was told that the EBC's have their own pro/cons. It is my understanding that EBC Green (or Yellow) are in fact great pads but they tend to dust up and do not really last beyond 45-50k. I cannot find a "these pads suck..." review other than the above.

I have been advised by the members on this forum to go either PF Carbon or Hawk LTS; two of which I know nothing about, but also cannot find a review out there that makes me feel as if I should stay away from them. I do not tow and I pretty much use the truck for DD purposes when I am not driving "the car".

Last edited:

Rubenk

Reaction score
Update on mine. I went Frozen rotors, Hawk super duty pads, and new Ford calipers. Stops great!

I'm in the process of adding PMF stainless lines, new brake booster, and new hydroboost(steering) pump. Should stop even better after.

capt dong

Reaction score
Ssbc makes a factory sized 6 piston caliper and cross drilled and slotted rotors priced about half of what wilwoods cost. Anyone run a set of those?

footlong70

Reaction score
Ssbc makes a factory sized 6 piston caliper and cross drilled and slotted rotors priced about half of what wilwoods cost. Anyone run a set of those?

I've been running the ssbc calipers front and rear for just about a year now. They came with their own pads which I'm also using. The front 6 piston set are a complete caliper replacement that use a different style of pad other than stock. So stock pads don't fit. Rear 3 piston calipers is a partial change but use the stock style of pad. I also upgraded to the ebc slotted rotors.
Overall they are are decent. I can't say I was wowed by the stopping improvement but there certainly was improvement. The front pads are fairly dusty. The biggest improvement was that the new calipers look a lot better than the originals. Its still a couple grand upgrade, but much cheaper than any of the other caliper upgrades available like said.
IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

Mudbugs

Reaction score
I researched this one to death a couple weeks ago. 2010 f250 with 105k. Ended up putting motorcraft pads and rotors back on. Going to try and get the same amount of longevity out of these sets. I've read the motorcraft brake pad formulas are also tested on the exact same truck whereas your aftermarket ones may not be.

Latest posts

Members online