Advice Please

SDstroker6.4

Reaction score
My 2008 going on 5 years with a ******* tune, truck running like a champ on 250 when dies and no start. Diagnostic tells me chaffing wires on hpfp, got a mechanic to do the work. So I'm told cab has to come off!! so my ? is mechanic tells me i should change hpfp since cab is off i know that is a common problem!!! any advice would be helpful thanks

f350guy

Reaction score
Ford says to pull the cab and total book time I think is nine hours, it can be done cab on from what I have seen.

There was a discussion in the '6.4 Aftermarket' section a while back on the quality of reman pumps. Look for it. I am not sure I would replace a known good pump with a reman pump of unknown quality. Maybe QC has changed and/or the supplier is now different. I had something occur with my HPFP years ago on my truck, I do not think it was the harness but maybe it was :doh: I can check my records if you care. Fuel filters are changed every 10k so it was not lack of maintenance. Truck is a pretty late build.

BTW, if you are pulling the cab consider other repairs or upgrades while in there.

Cab mounts are a MUST, at this point yours are garbage
EGR inspection
BD Manifolds and uppipes
Head studs
Shaft play of the turbochargers
High flow downpipe if not equipped
Aftermarket fuel lift pump (besides better filtration, service is FAR easier)
New oil cooler while in there and coolant filter
Ported intake manifold

Not an exhaustive list, but things to consider.

SDstroker6.4

Reaction score
Really appreciate the feed back, u hit on nail i just posted, what i should do since cab is going off!! :thumbup: The mechanic put in my head i should change hpfp but if still good y change it, the harness is what needs to get the truck running and if cab comes off i would like to make it worth it, PREVENTION upgrades!!!

dsberman94

Reaction score
from what ive read on the 6.4 platform, at a bare minimum i would replace the uppipes with a quality set. seems all the stock ones go bad eventually. also id imagine shes got some miles on her so rocker arms wouldn't be a terrible idea to check out either. check in the 6.4 tech to get some other ideas. You can dump a lot of money into that motor on stuff that may go wrong or you may never have an issue with it.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
lifting the cab to do a hpfp and then to do studs etc are not the same thing, the money difference is quit large. the pumps carry a 2 year warranty from ford so as long as the tech is up on his paperwork getting a pump replacement is not that big of a deal down the road if it does happen. I would be more irritated if I cheaped out by just doing the updated harness and then the pump failed 2 months later.

-the downpipe is not that bad if you are leaving the truck stock.

-egr sounds like it is already gone so shouldn't be an issue

-uppipes and manifolds should be checked for blown bellows, this I can agree with as the stock up pipes are pretty hateful and most shops will want to pull the cab back off they need to be replaced

-ported intake/new oil cooler etc. can all be done with the cab on, if its a stock turbo'd truck its not going to be a huge difference with a ported intake.

-to do the oil cooler intake manifold etc would need to be removed. to do the hpfp everything can stay in tack

I would pull cab, do the new style hpfp harness, new hpfp,new frp sensor and check the uppipes and be done with it. all the extra's are going to cost a lot more money. as far as the aftermarket fuel system, id go with something like Midwest or someone has, I would shy away from airdog and fass because of the high failure rate (from experience) changing a fuel filter isn't that hard and the filters are on the shelf of every ford dealer.

also make sure he gets a turbo mount kit and new exhaust gaskets if your up pipes are fine.

4wd w/cab off time is 11 hours
4wd w/ cab on 13.9

those times don't include diag obviously.

just depends on how much you want to spend.

Last edited:

SDstroker6.4

Reaction score
10/4 on $$$$!!! its actually opposite berman94 i bought truck in 2009 with 17,000 miles and 6 years later I'm around 45,000 don't use it much couple long trips a year and around town
up pipes check

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
no way in hell I would replace a 45k mile OEM HPFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the diag points to the harness...

I wouldn't touch anything. Swap the harness and RTFO...

if you said you had 245k on it, I MIGHT say throw some more money at it depending on how long you planned on keeping it, but with only 45k on it, I say rock with it

SDstroker6.4

Reaction score
I agree drunk!! From what i read nothing wrong with oem hpfp its certain trucks that have those major problems run threw, obviously with different situations!! WiLL a lift pump/filter help the fuel system????

dsberman94

Reaction score
10/4 on $$$$!!! its actually opposite berman94 i bought truck in 2009 with 17,000 miles and 6 years later I'm around 45,000 don't use it much couple long trips a year and around town
up pipes check

that's actually pretty awesome. post it up here whenever youre ready to sell it and youll more than likely get top dollar as long as its still a clean truck. hard to find anything with that low of mileage from the 6.4 years anymore.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the OEM lift pump or filtration.

I wouldn't recommend fixing something that isn't broken nor likely to break

johnp115

Reaction score
e76f54d89313c21dde3709abee7fd1ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online