Aeromotive Regulator Fuel Pressure Bleed Down

97Beast

Reaction score
I converted my 97 to electric fuel about a month ago. Everything went smoothly, and the truck runs great. No leaks and 65 psi of constant fuel.

I am using the usual Aeromotive regulator with 6an fittings. Pressure at the regulator is set at 65psi when running. After shutting the truck down, pressure drops to 50psi within seconds. And in at least 15 minutes the pressure will drop to zero.

I know these performance regulators won't hold pressure like the OEs do. But do y'alls regulators bleed down that quickly?

sootie

Reaction score
once you turn the key on again, how long does it take to build pressure gain? Sounds to me like its bleeding back to tank thru the pump when there is no voltage going to the pump.

97Beast

Reaction score
About 5 seconds with the key on.

I'm using a Bosch SD pump. It was new when installed.

sootie

Reaction score
so basically by the time you glow the truck its up to full fuel pressure? I guess i dont really see the issue?

97Beast

Reaction score
Not a real big issue. I wait and let the pump prime before starting. You can hear it building pressure. The pump is a little louder at first and once pressurized it is much more quiet.

I was just curious if anyone has experience with these regulators bleeding down so quickly.

haligen

Reaction score
Put a check valve on your pump/filter outlet. I bought one that goes from the metric threads on my 044 to 6an.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97Beast

Reaction score
Put a check valve on your pump/filter outlet. I bought one that goes from the metric threads on my 044 to 6an.

I like that idea. Would adding a check valve after the secondary filter be best? Or after the pump?

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I have a Fuel Lab regulator and experience the same thing but I think mine takes about 20 min or so to go from 65 to 0 once turned off.

Otherwise truck runs fine and I never see a pressure drop on WOT pulls.

I never had a pressure gauge before doing the Irate fuel kit so I have no idea what the system was doing when it was stock.

97Beast

Reaction score
I'm also curious if the 7.3 Super Dutys have check valves from the factory?

sootie

Reaction score

is there ever any fear of leakdown with this setup?

97Beast

Reaction score
I have a Fuel Lab regulator and experience the same thing but I think mine takes about 20 min or so to go from 65 to 0 once turned off.

Otherwise truck runs fine and I never see a pressure drop on WOT pulls.

I never had a pressure gauge before doing the Irate fuel kit so I have no idea what the system was doing when it was stock.

Good to know. I was worried I should have gone with a Fuel Lab regulator. But the design looks practically the same.

I imagine our factory system must have held pressure pretty well. Considering the mechanical pump requires the engine turning over to build pressure.

haligen

Reaction score
I put the valve in mainly to stop the flow when changing the primary filter, but it also serves to keep pressure on the system.

mandkole

Reaction score
Mine lets the pressure go on shut off, but its still full and builds pressure immediately at key on. I have a dahl with a clear bowl and would see air immediately if it was in there. I guess I don't see an issue here either..

97Beast

Reaction score
Yea there's no air in my system. I just have to wait for it to prime with the key on. But I'm going to try out a check valve. It shouldn't hurt to add one.

Latest posts

Members online