Aftermarket transmissions

simonton6.4

Reaction score
I tried to find a post with the info I was looking for but came up with nothing. My transmission has pretty much bit the dust it's still pulling for now but it hates life to say the least. My question is what is working the best for y'all I don't care about the name just the product I'm not making 1000hp but I don't want to be pushing my luck with a rebuild and new converter. I've been looking at ats for the reason of 5disc converter and the warranty behind them. I sled pull and beat on it pretty often.

So what are y'all using and for what reason? Transmission and converter?

jdgleason

Reaction score
:whs:

ATS transmissions are notoriously awful in fords.

I agree with Jgon tho, definitely go with an Elite built 5r and a converter of your choice.

Let me know if I can get you pricing.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Elite 5R110's are the most proven trans on the market, IMO. Erik Clausen's DPC winning truck is a huge testament to the strength of their transmissions.... 9,000lb truck on 37s had zero issues 2 years in a row at DPC. Also, Elite's transmission was in Aaron Rudolf's truck when it went 9.49.

There are many 1,000hp+ 6.4s daily driving Elite transmissions with no issues.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I'm not saying there perfect nor am I trying to sell you one, but with ats building all the parts in house instead of out sourcng there biggest problem with the bomding on there clutchs. I haven't seen any issues other then owners buyin a stg1 when they need a stg4 with there 700hp 6.4. I don't run one as I have a local guy who's pretty badarse at building trannys so I run his and haven't had any problems. I'd call Elite and bts and see what they charge for one. Rumor has it Brian is now building the trannys for the 6.0 and 6.4 guys.

3brorce

Reaction score
I would stay away from ATS. Brian has been building 5Rs for awhile now and its not a rumor. Andy Warren I hear good things about his transmissions as well. He will build it with whichever parts you choose. Raybestos guts and a DPC converter would be my choice.

Last edited:

MINK

Reaction score
Raybestos guts and a DPC converter would be my choice.

yup, go Elite.

Think I'm going to elaborate - 5rs suck and contamination will ruin the best trans, I got to learn this the hard way...a few times. Now that that's all sorted out I cant complain. My truck pulls hard and lockup is firm yet when I'm daily driving or towing it is soft enough to really make driving the truck a pleasure which is making me really like the 5r again.

I have a DPC converter that has been refreshed twice now, great customer service from Phil is why I will recommend their product.

Mine is a Elite stage 4 built by a buddy.

Last edited:

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Ok we'll if I do go with a elite what stage is good I don't think I need a billet everything lol but I don't want to skimp on something that is worth having

java

Reaction score
My brother and I both have Elite stage 4 transmissions and both have held up great so far. You cant go wrong with a RCD converter or a DPC converter.

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Mink what did you do to keep crap out of your trans
Also with the big pans have y'all actually noticed any drop in temps with them is it worth is to get the deep pan?

MINK

Reaction score
Mink what did you do to keep crap out of your trans
Also with the big pans have y'all actually noticed any drop in temps with them is it worth is to get the deep pan?

Just make sure you hot flush or replace your coolers, I did both.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
ATS isnt even something to consider using. If you want reliability and aren't going balls out with power upgrades, I'd say go with an elite stage 2 and a DPC converter. Skip the deep pan. I haven't found it to be necessary, neither have others as far as I know.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I noticed a drop in trans temp with my deep pan, I went with a PML pan. I believe its the same one RCD uses in their transmissions.

simonton6.4

Reaction score
How's the elite as far as shifting ever miss a shift or hesitate mines jumping and bucking and will up shift then down shift over and over till it finds something to grab on and take off I'm not pulling any codes
Also warranty on there trans is it no questions asked full replacement or is it send it to us and well deside if its our fault or urs?

Latest posts

Members online