Air bag light on...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Must be something we bumped or unplugged when we swapped motors, had the inner fender liner out on the drivers side to swap the IDM...

Where is the Air Bag module?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Nope.

Your battery voltage get real low? That could set a code.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yes it did. But typically I can just clear the codes and all will be fine. Doesnt work right now. I will have to check the fuses. It wont even let me disable the passanger side air bag.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Its probably the module where you turn the passenger side bag off. When you turn your key to on position see if the "off" lights up and then goes out. If you don't see it light up that is the problem. That is where they usually fail.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
the control module is on the rt. side of the hump under the dash..

if you were in the left fender and now the light is on, I'd suspect green groties in the wires to the impact sensor l/f behind the bumper..

if your scanner will to body control functions, just pull the codes..
should squirt ya down the right track quickly

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I've also seen clocksprings in the steering column cause the airbag light to come on. Does your cruise control work?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm thinking its the sensor when we had the front clip off. And I had the left fender liner out to swap the IDM...

Wife is driving it today and tomorrow, I will check it this weekend.

907DAVE

Reaction score
There is no crash sensor out front, its internal to the module.

The air bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) module performs the following functions:

signals the inflators to deploy the air bags in the event of a deployable crash.
monitors the air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) for faults.
illuminates the air bag indicator if a fault is detected.
flashes the air bag indicator to indicate the Lamp Fault Code (LFC) detected.
communicates through the Data Link Connector (DLC) the current and historical DTCs.
signals the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) to activate a chime if the air bag indicator is not available and another SRS fault is present.

NOTE: The safing sensor is internal to the ECS and cannot be removed for repair.

co04cobra

Reaction score
What Dave said. It is an EXTREMELY simple system. There are no crash sensors.

Its a RCM, both bags, and clockspring. Reg cab trucks and ex-cab trucks have on/off switches for passenger bag. Some early 99 and a lot of C&C trucks didn't even have passengers bags.

Not trying to sound like a dik. But I would be willing to bet, that on this particular SRS, I have replaced and worked on more pieces of these systems then half of this site combined.

Try the key on and looking at your "off" light.

On edit: In 01 it could possibly have belt pre-tensioners. Do your seats have the belt built into the seat?

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
What Dave said. It is an EXTREMELY simple system. There are no crash sensors.

Its a RCM, both bags, and clockspring. Reg cab trucks and ex-cab trucks have on/off switches for passenger bag. Some early 99 and a lot of C&C trucks didn't even have passengers bags.

Not trying to sound like a dik. But I would be willing to bet, that on this particular SRS, I have replaced and worked on more pieces of these systems then half of this site combined.

Try the key on and looking at your "off" light.

On edit: In 01 it could possibly have belt pre-tensioners. Do your seats have the belt built into the seat?

I already tried the key thing, the light didnt even light up. Normally it does when you key on.

Yes the seats have the belts in them.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Then that is the problem. There is a small circuit board attached to the light that comes on. It is very common for them to burn out.

They are the same in rangers, F-150s, Expeditions, etc... Pretty much all fords with a on/off switch up to around 07 will work. You have to take the bezel off around the cluster and radio to access it.

It is inside the black box bolted to the back of the bezel. If you use one from aonther vehicle only the board itself is used. The black boxes change per vehicle. I have saw guys fix them. I think its a resistor that burns out, but I've never messed with fixing one that way myself.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
There is no crash sensor out front, its internal to the module.

explains why I couldn't find it in the component locator..
I thought it was just Mitchell On-Demand being a POS (AGAIN).

We do wads of them on GM's.. the weatherproof connectors aren't real weather proof and the pins rot right off the sensor..

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Then that is the problem. There is a small circuit board attached to the light that comes on. It is very common for them to burn out.

They are the same in rangers, F-150s, Expeditions, etc... Pretty much all fords with a on/off switch up to around 07 will work. You have to take the bezel off around the cluster and radio to access it.

It is inside the black box bolted to the back of the bezel. If you use one from aonther vehicle only the board itself is used. The black boxes change per vehicle. I have saw guys fix them. I think its a resistor that burns out, but I've never messed with fixing one that way myself.

It was working fine before the motor swap... I'll pull codes this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online