amp and sub combo question

Spatel23

Reaction score

jdc753

Reaction score
The amp will certainly work but it will be a good bit under powered for that particular sub. No by no means is a power rating a power requirement so I would say just run it for the time being but if you get the inkling you could put almost double the power to that sub.

The power rating at each resistance is a nominal rating that as you can see about doubles when cutting the resistance in half going from 4 to 2.

Power @ 4ohms = 250w x1
Power @ 2ohms = 500w x1

Thus
Power @ 3ohm = 375w x1

I pretty much believe JL audio does this 3ohm setup to confuse people and get them to buy the JL amps for simplicity sake instead of trying to figure the math. JL amps have a variable state power supply so they will put out rated power at various reistances from 1.5ohm to 4ohm (now doesn't that make it easy) they aren't the only company to do this but JL gets lots of hype so I am sure plenty of the JL fanboys will claim how awesome it is that they do this, also its one of the factors for the extra high pricing for a JL amp.

If you got an 08 console in the rear then you should be able to do it, sadly I think you will need to use the entire volume of the console to acheive the airspace JL is recommending for that sub (1.25ft^3) but should be doable. I have in my console 0.93ft^3 and 7" mounting depth, this leaves me with 7" of storage.

Spatel23

Reaction score
The amp will certainly work but it will be a good bit under powered for that particular sub. No by no means is a power rating a power requirement so I would say just run it for the time being but if you get the inkling you could put almost double the power to that sub.

The power rating at each resistance is a nominal rating that as you can see about doubles when cutting the resistance in half going from 4 to 2.

Power @ 4ohms = 250w x1
Power @ 2ohms = 500w x1

Thus
Power @ 3ohm = 375w x1

I pretty much believe JL audio does this 3ohm setup to confuse people and get them to buy the JL amps for simplicity sake instead of trying to figure the math. JL amps have a variable state power supply so they will put out rated power at various reistances from 1.5ohm to 4ohm (now doesn't that make it easy) they aren't the only company to do this but JL gets lots of hype so I am sure plenty of the JL fanboys will claim how awesome it is that they do this, also its one of the factors for the extra high pricing for a JL amp.

If you got an 08 console in the rear then you should be able to do it, sadly I think you will need to use the entire volume of the console to acheive the airspace JL is recommending for that sub (1.25ft^3) but should be doable. I have in my console 0.93ft^3 and 7" mounting depth, this leaves me with 7" of storage.

Thank you........I think I am going to try this idea out. Ill stick with my current amp and upgrade if I feel the need later.

As you mentioned..the hard part is going to be getting the proper air volume in the rear console. I dont mind taking it all up.....I am going to swing by the stereo shop next week and get some ideas rolling.
Id like for it to stick out the back of the console facing the rear wall and have some sort of plexi display showing the actual sub once the lid to the console is opened.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
The plexi part of the enclosure would be cool. I have one concern, do these things rattle or resonate badly? I mean a sub in an enclosure with a lid and storage features. It just seems to me that the more pieces to it, the more noise it would make and that would drive me batty.

Spatel23

Reaction score
The plexi part of the enclosure would be cool. I have one concern, do these things rattle or resonate badly? I mean a sub in an enclosure with a lid and storage features. It just seems to me that the more pieces to it, the more noise it would make and that would drive me batty.

Thats a good point Erik and I have thought about it. I think it all depends on how the box is made and where it comes in contact with the console.

I still have to discuss it all with my stereo shop. I may even scrap the whole idea and just add another JL 10w3 and call it a day.:doh:

jdc753

Reaction score
i wish i wasnt so clueless when it came to this stuff. i get so fricken confused.. LOL

If you ever get confused just post up a question, plenty of people on this site that know what they are talking about. Or you could shoot me a PM and I would be happy to explain out whatever it is that you are curious about.

Thats a good point Erik and I have thought about it. I think it all depends on how the box is made and where it comes in contact with the console.

I still have to discuss it all with my stereo shop. I may even scrap the whole idea and just add another JL 10w3 and call it a day.:doh:

The only rattle I get from my console is if there are things in in the cupholders. Occasionally the little chrome trim ring will resonate a little bit for certain frequencies but its not major. I think with some deadener wrapped around the cupholders from the inside of the console and there would be no worries at all. The lid is rock solid and never gives me even the slightest vibration.

Here is the ugly view of the guts inside my console. Bottom portion is the sub box, 0.93ft^3 sealed MDF and fiberglass, while the top portion is a new floor added to the upper console piece to give it only 4" of storage (PLENTY for my uses) The 2 are attached simply by screwing the top to the bottom, then all console pieces clip together as factory. The console now weighs in at 78lbs (25lbs for the sub)

DSC02671.jpg

Also if you were getting bad rattles and resonance from the plastics of the console you could most likely stop it right up quick with a layer of sound deadening mat to the inside of the plastics.

thuglike

Reaction score
I need a new sub amp now too. My Clarion 400w took a dump (no power to the speakers) and I'm pushin' 2 10" with only 200w...doesn't sound bad but that 400w clarion had those subs thumpin'

Silver2010

Reaction score
FYI- JL makes a stealth enclosure with an 8w7 that fits into the consoles of our trucks. And the ZX500.1 would be a great match for the 8" as well. I'm going to go JL as well but haven't decided if I want to use the 8W7 in the console or the 13TW5 under or behind back seat.

switchmode

Reaction score
Shone as Silver 2010 mentioned JL stealthbox with a 8w7. I had two of these in a sealed enclosure in a previous vehicle. The 8w7 will pound way harder than your current 10w3 and will sound incredibly clear. They have excellent sound quality will still hitting as hard as a 10" sub due to the size of the magnet and how tight that cone is. There isn't really anything these subs can't keep up, they are extremely quick hence the awesome sound quality. If you need more than just one put one in both the front and rear consoles. But one would work very well with the amp you have, I ran two off a Audison LRx400.1 which does 900w at 1 ohm so probably around 400w per sub. The only problem I had was thermal cut out these subs draw super hard and can overheat amps quick when listening at higher volumes. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Spatel23

Reaction score
Thats a great idea...I didnt even think to just get two stealthboxes with the 8w7.

I went ahead and added another 10w3 and Im pretty happy with how it sounds for now. I havent had much time with it yet but time will tell.

If Im not happy with it later on down the road, I will just switch to the two 8w7s in the consoles.
Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.