Any of you guys that tow/haul for a living

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I must have misunderstood. I thought we talking about pulling new RV's.
Leasing to a broker they pay everything but the truck expenses.
8 mpg is pretty poor, most guys I know doing this are averaging 13.
And no trailer cost.

On edit: the highest mileage light duty pickups in the country are pulling hot shot so Im not clear on where you get the point about wearing the truck out?

The few I know doing this are pocketing $100k per year after expenses.
Not sure of the breakdown but I know they get a load pay plus mileage. And get a huge fuel sur charge. Im talking with them right now about buying a truck to put in fleet.

If you are contracting and furnishing the trailer and authorities I would agree with the rest, 2.50-3$ per mile.

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
And no trailer cost.

On edit: the highest mileage light duty pickups in the country are pulling hot shot so Im not clear on where you get the point about wearing the truck out?

Not sure of the breakdown but I know they get a load pay plus mileage. And get a huge fuel sur charge. Im talking with them right now about buying a truck to put in fleet.

If you are contracting and furnishing the trailer and authorities I would agree with the rest, 2.50-3$ per mile.

100k per yr. How many hrs are they workingand how many days are they away from home? 100k a good chunk of money but if your working 16hr days then its not.

Also what about replacment truck every 2-3yrs or are guys driving them to 200-300k?

Jason

Reaction score
Averaging 13 doing 55mph including bouncing to next load. Rv's are roughly 1 a mile plus fuel surcharge. If its .20/mi i guess you could call it 1.20 a mile. Pocketing 100k?? EXTREMELY doubtful plus they may pay your insurance out of your check, but they are not footing the bill. How many miles a year??? They may be highest mileage but on their 3rd motor 4th trans. Etc. There are exclusions of course, but these trucks were not built to have 12-13k lbs on its back everyday for 120k miles a year. They are after all just a PICKUP TRUCK...not a peterbilt, i wish peopke would understand that. One or two 70 year old men put a million miles on their bone stock 12v that doesnt get drove over 60mph and all of a sudden its the little brother to a isx or n14 and will go a million miles grossing 40k lbs with a mpg average of 15mpg. ALL truck drivers tell tall tales, im trying to open this kids eyes to the realities of how freight rates work. Its not 120k miles a year at $1.10 a mile...woohoo 122k a year! Its more like 120k miles a year 100k dollars 30k in my pocket wtf did i do wrong???

Jason

Reaction score
Also its $$$$ not miles. Id rather run 40k a year for $2.25 a mile than 100k miles for $1.10/mi. And ill be far further ahead financially. I only ran 30k miles a year when i owned my w900l, and my own trailer. I pocketed over $100k a year free and clear.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
LOL ok then. Im making it up LOL

OP do what you find you can do.
Don't let anyone talk you out of your goals.
Set down a plan and follow it. There's too many folks making good jack doing this to believe the nay sayers LOL

Jason

Reaction score
****. Get out and talk to people in the field, and peoole pulling for the comoany you want to lease to. Find out their takes on the business.

Im the only ones whos given solid advice and broke it down for the guy. You come in talking about what some other person who isnt part of this thread, whom nobody knows...is telling you. And youre going to consider leasing a truck on. Right on! Im not knocking Joes advice at all..what im saying is...he asked for help, i tossed him 5 min of my time in one matter and that matter alome, which you cannot say anything in my thread is bs or made up. Yet you call me a naysayer and whatnot. Im just telling him to go for MORE MONEY! Not a dollar and spare change a mile. Moving less for more money is a way smarter financial decision.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
100k per yr. How many hrs are they workingand how many days are they away from home? 100k a good chunk of money but if your working 16hr days then its not.

Also what about replacment truck every 2-3yrs or are guys driving them to 200-300k?

100k give or take. Both are retired truckers and farmers. Home most weekends.
New truck every year. Like I said b4 the mileage is just part of it.

Im not going waste any more time getting the details when its obvious Im FOS LOL

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
****. Get out and talk to people in the field, and peoole pulling for the comoany you want to lease to. Find out their takes on the business.

Im the only ones whos given solid advice and broke it down for the guy. You come in talking about what some other person who isnt part of this thread, whom nobody knows...is telling you. And youre going to consider leasing a truck on. Right on! Im not knocking Joes advice at all..what im saying is...he asked for help, i tossed him 5 min of my time in one matter and that matter alome, which you cannot say anything in my thread is bs or made up. Yet you call me a naysayer and whatnot. Im just telling him to go for MORE MONEY! Not a dollar and spare change a mile. Moving less for more money is a way smarter financial decision.

You got me. I wouldn't know the 1st thing about driving a truck. Carry on.

Jason

Reaction score
Driving a truck and knkwing how to make money running a business are two different things. Any monkey can drive a truck. Its knowing how to run a business and make smart choices with your money etc. that lots of folks need help with.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Actually $1 per mile in a F350 is excellent, the trouble is back hauls.

Here's where the pissing contest started. My point was that $1 per mile is better than $0.
Y'all are taking what i said and assuming Im advocating a flat rate of $1 per mile.

Maybe it shouldve read "$1 per mile in a loaded f350 is better than $0 in an empty."

The giant campers my friends are hauling are paying much higher than a $1. But they'd welcome that amount to bring something back. My main point was stay loaded.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
NONONONONO.....goddammit Joe you know we cant be even remotely close to being on the same page. Give me a few hours, ill be back with another reply to pick something youve said apart. Maybe...how big of rv's are we talking? Could be valid grounds for my medium duty arguement.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
And no trailer cost.

Not all but some of the highest mileage light duty trucks more than likely were hooked to a trailer, I agree. I'm not saying the truck is going to get worn out and become useless. What I'm getting at, is if a one ton pickup is between 20k-30k GCWR for tens of thousands of miles a year, your going to go through brakes, tires, misc. bearings/ bushings, more transmissions than the next guy in most cases. All the wear parts will wear a little quicker than grand dad moving his camper twice a year and daily driving the truck. For lack of better words I said "wear out", the above is what I was getting at.
I'm surprised there's money in campers down there, up here they don't pay very much to move.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Not all but some of the highest mileage light duty trucks more than likely were hooked to a trailer, I agree. I'm not saying the truck is going to get worn out and become useless. What I'm getting at, is if a one ton pickup is between 20k-30k GCWR for tens of thousands of miles a year, your going to go through brakes, tires, misc. bearings/ bushings, more transmissions than the next guy in most cases. All the wear parts will wear a little quicker than grand dad moving his camper twice a year and daily driving the truck. For lack of better words I said "wear out", the above is what I was getting at.
I'm surprised there's money in campers down there, up here they don't pay very much to move.

No doubt. Some of the companies I've worked for have had that same inner office debate. Light duty vs Medium. What it came down to was purchase price, warranty, and resale. The light duty seems more cost effective under 26k gross. I think if you're going to step up to 32k a heavier chassis would fair better. I have to say though the new f450 is pretty stout.

jbaal

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys no need to start arguing. now that i understand pricing what about the truck and trailer. the truck is the one in my sig stock with big tires obviously not the best for the job but it'll do for now. should i get trans and egt guages? its not tuned should i look into that? i'm wantin a more road friendly tire what would you suggest? what would be a good sized trailer to start with? what brand? keep the info comin guys thanks

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Depending on which way you go you may be required to get a newer truck. Most brokers want late model equipment to avoid down times in route. If you're gonna haul freelance id get smaller tires and heavy tow style coolers. Then there's the hitches. I carry every receiver known + 5th wheel, GN ball, and inverted aussie style KP hitch. I buy trailers of all kinds so Im prepared. Decide witch way you're going to go and get everything. Chains boomers ratchets equalizers plug adapters........ect.

Oh and a thick skin, if this little bit of jawing over opinions bothers you wait till you're late and the customer wants to renegotiate the fee! LOL

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys no need to start arguing. now that i understand pricing what about the truck and trailer. the truck is the one in my sig stock with big tires obviously not the best for the job but it'll do for now. should i get trans and egt guages? its not tuned should i look into that? i'm wantin a more road friendly tire what would you suggest? what would be a good sized trailer to start with? what brand? keep the info comin guys thanks

Refer to post number 20 for some truck and trailer information.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Joe I wasnt questioning your information I was just wondering how many hrs they work and are home on the weekends. Alot of people make 100k a yr but there x-wifes get half of it when they get a divorce becuase there never home.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
In both cases they're retired and using this as a way to get out and see the country and yet make a comfortable living.

TurboM700

Reaction score
In both cases they're retired and using this as a way to get out and see the country and yet make a comfortable living.

Its funny you should mention this. I was just down at my folks house talking to my old man who has been a sales rep for the last 30 yrs of his life who is getting ready to retire. I asked him what he wants to do know. His reply was just what you said. He's us to putting 50k a yr on travling now so that wouldnt be any different for him.

I will have to forward the link to this page to him.:pimp:

Latest posts

Members online