any write up on replacing rear wheel studs on f350

zilla68

Reaction score
Had one that I couldn't get the nut off of after I had some work done, and the shop offered to fix it, but I didn't want them back on it, so I'll do it.
I'm going to replace all the studs, any write up on this, I'm not seeing anything in the search function.

I found a video where the guy drilled a big hole in the backing plate, not for me, I'd prefer to do it right, take it apart correctly.

I know pull the axle out, but before I get to far along, what else is needed so I can have every part i need on hand before starting.

thanks

mustube

Reaction score
That's the right socket. If you're pulling the hubs off the rear I would go back with new bearings and seals, but once you get the hub off just pound out the old studs and pound in the new ones. Don't use an impact and lug nut to pull the new stud through, just keep going with a hammer until its fully seated. Also don't forget that one side has reverse spindle threads when taking it apart.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

zilla68

Reaction score
i ordered that socket off ebay, and I'm going to do both sides a complete rebuild with all new studs since they will be off anyways, probably wouldn't hurt.

m j

Reaction score
I always destroy the new style seals on removal. either I dont know how to work them or thats by design. pricier then the old stuff that i always had luck at reusing.
the socket with the pilot works nice for our trucks with the ford ratcheting nut, you can jimmy the older style socket on but not all the teeth engage .

once the hub is off the truck either a press or an airhammer make short work of the studs

racerdad2

Reaction score
The hole in the backing plate is ez. Just plug hole with rubber when done. Really no need to disassemble, unless you just like making more work for yourself ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

zilla68

Reaction score
I saw that on you tube, but I'm really not keen on drilling a hole back there when its not supposed to be there.
New seals won't hurt anyways.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.