Anyone else having SCT X4 problems?

OBS73

Reaction score
After ordering mine for my new to me 03 6.0, I read horror stories on another site saying that SCT's firmware wasn't recognizing some 03-04.5 trucks. But, one of the members on the OTHER powerstroke forum said they had fixed the firmware and he got his working and was able to load a tune to his truck. Well, I pulled mine out of the box and hooked it up to the truck and the only thing the X4 pulls up in a Mustang GT500. So, I tried updating everything and when it finally finished, ran back outside and hooked up and got the same thing.

Now, did they send me the wrong programmer? I was under the impression that the X4 7015 was for all or "most" Ford applications like they state on the specs.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
After ordering mine for my new to me 03 6.0, I read horror stories on another site saying that SCT's firmware wasn't recognizing some 03-04.5 trucks. But, one of the members on the OTHER powerstroke forum said they had fixed the firmware and he got his working and was able to load a tune to his truck. Well, I pulled mine out of the box and hooked it up to the truck and the only thing the X4 pulls up in a Mustang GT500. So, I tried updating everything and when it finally finished, ran back outside and hooked up and got the same thing.

Now, did they send me the wrong programmer? I was under the impression that the X4 7015 was for all or "most" Ford applications like they state on the specs.

Did you hook the programmer up to the computer to do the update or did you do the update on the device over wifi? The 7015 should work on ford vehicles 1996-current. Never did have a problem with them loading on a 6.0.

OBS73

Reaction score
I did it over wifi on the device. SCT's site doesn't offer firmware download via pcm anymore, unless there's another link to it somewhere I couldn't find.

OBS73

Reaction score
The device has the current update that they say is the most current on the site now.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
The device has the current update that they say is the most current on the site now.

Update the X4 over wifi messes with things that is most likely the problem. Go to the SCT website click on support then click on X4 and download the updater software.

OBS73

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured the software and firmware would be the same. But when I went to it the first time, it was asking me to set the x4 to firmware mode and then look for the LWU files, either one I cant find how to do lol.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured the software and firmware would be the same. But when I went to it the first time, it was asking me to set the x4 to firmware mode and then look for the LWU files, either one I cant find how to do lol.

Just click on "check for automatic updates". its worded similar to that.

OBS73

Reaction score
I did that one, says its completely up to date. Won't let me start it.

OBS73

Reaction score
Well, a quick 10 minute call to SCT and the X4 is up and running! They had to add a file with some missing VIN numbers on it. After that worked like a charm!

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
Was a real PIA wasn't it??!!:fustrate:
My first X4 went back twice. I got disgusted and bought another, same thing.
Now I have an X4 to get rid of. Firmware updated.

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
Did you contact SCT tech support to see if they can help you out?

LOL, damn near talked to all the techs they had in the course of a month and a half, I'm thinking I was one of the first to have this happen, from the sounds of it on the phone with them.
Vivian was on the phone with them for several days, keeping me updated, I talked to Josh at SCT 12 minutes after they confirmed the fix amongst themselves and got the firmware update.
My X4 doesn't show a VIN #, they said Ford didn't program the vehicles VIN into the 03-04 6.0's, therefore when SCT was coming out with tuning revisions and updates, as soon as you updated the device, it wouldn't recognize the vehicle, X4 not worky!!

After I ran into this problem on August 13th, as of 2 weeks ago this coming Wednesday, they had around 200 X4's that needed this Beta Firmware update.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.