Anyone had a 6.0 crank with no start once then been fine?

morepower02

Reaction score
2005 135k drove a half hour this morning and I shut it off. 10 minutes later turned the key on and heard the normal buzz noise but cranked for ten seconds and would not start. I let it sit for five minutes and still wouldn't fire. In the mean time I checked the oil and it was on low so I added a quart. Still crank and not fire. I waited a few minutes and it popped right off. Started it a few times thru out the day with no issue and drove half hour home and restarted without issue. Freak deal or is this the time to trade it?? Fwiw batteries and ficm were replaced in December.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Something caused it not to start, but without datalogging it I'm not sure how you're going to be able to tell. Doesn't sound like a hot no start condition really though.... I don't know that I'd trade it in because of that, but that's your call. I had a weird no start issue with mine a while back, wouldn't start for anything and all readings were good. I hit it with a shot of ether (desperation) and it fired off and didn't have a problem again for another couple months. Then it did it again out of the blue. I finally realized the turbo had "stuck." I touched it with my pinky finger to break it free and it fired right up no problem. It never happened again after that.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Mine did that once. Went to where is was the next day and it fired right up. Only time its ever done it and it was over a year ago now

morepower02

Reaction score
It has been fine since yesterday morning. The turbo has been sticky lately so if that could cause it I should start there.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Mine stuck that one time, and it fired when I sprayed a little ether in it. The second time it happend, ether did not fix it (fluke it fixed it the first time) and then when I literally touched the compressor wheel with my pinky it popped loose and started fine. I rotated the turbo shaft back and forth and could not feel anything that would cause that. I drove for another year or so on that same turbo and it never happened again.

morepower02

Reaction score
It's done it twice more when warm and runs great otherwise. I dropped it off today at the local ford shop.

morepower02

Reaction score
Dealer just called and said the STC fitting is leaking. $1000-$1100 and will be done tomorrow. Sound about right?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Holy hell, the parts are only about $35. I could never justify that.... it's not terribly hard to do if you have the time and a place to do it.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Easy to do.
Took me a day to do while doing delete, oil cooler and STC.
If you have time, do it yourself and save $800.
No "special" tools except the fitting alignment tool that comes with the fitting.

morepower02

Reaction score
4C3Z-9B246-F updated stc kit was $65 and another $30 or so in o rings and shop supplies $900 and some change labor was the charge. I did not have time to deal with it and is starts nice now so my wife is happy.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
4C3Z-9B246-F updated stc kit was $65 and another $30 or so in o rings and shop supplies $900 and some change labor was the charge. I did not have time to deal with it and is starts nice now so my wife is happy.

Did you have an oil leak w/ that??

Ours wouldn't start but I think it was a relay issue. The FICM relay had what I can only describe as a scorch/burn mark on the top. It was obvious that it was/had gotten very hot more than once.

morepower02

Reaction score
They said that the computer diagnostics were fine and gave me the option to opt out and pick it up. I said what's next. They said pull the valve covers and put shop air to it. I said ok and they called later and said the stc fitting was leaking internally.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Pretty common issue on the 05+ motors. I'm assuming they didn't bother offering to do the updated stand pipe and dummy plugs? $125 in parts and basically nothing for labor since you would have been under the valve covers already?

Latest posts

Members online