Axle seals?

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of replacing a front axle shaft on my truck and I have to pull the seal behind the hub to get them out to replace the joints. My question is do I have to replace that seal being it is a vacuum seal and i have manual locking hubs on the truck. Figured I would pick your guys' brains before I spend another $100. Would there be any problems if I didn't run that?

co04cobra

Reaction score
You do not have to replace them with manual hubs. If your old seal is in descent shape. put it back on. If you do go new seals they are a PITA to get on.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I have the OTC seal driver and it makes driving the seals effortless. As well as seating the axle.

You definitely don't need to buy new ones if they are in good shape. If you get direct Spicer parts though you should be able to get both hub seals and dust seals for about $80.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I have the OTC seal driver and it makes driving the seals effortless. As well as seating the axle.

You definitely don't need to buy new ones if they are in good shape. If you get direct Spicer parts though you should be able to get both hub seals and dust seals for about $80.

Got a link for driver

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

91turbogsx

Reaction score
you can make a driver for the seal for about 20 bucks at a home depot store there are a few wright up on it

You can get the OTC tool for about $60. Driving around and picking up pieces to make the driver plus your time involved will probably cost you more or break even with the cost of the real tool but you still end up with a makeshift tool out of plumbing parts. :confused:

That's my view of it. But I also do alot more of them. You could always sell the tool after and recoup some cost.

poorboy1964

Reaction score
You can get the OTC tool for about $60. Driving around and picking up pieces to make the driver plus your time involved will probably cost you more or break even with the cost of the real tool but you still end up with a makeshift tool out of plumbing parts. :confused:

That's my view of it. But I also do alot more of them. You could always sell the tool after and recoup some cost.

I get get what you are saying if it was for my occupation I would buy the tool. I'm at Home depot at lest once a week so for the 5 minutes it took me to grind down the floor flange I look at it as saved 40 buck. LOL it's good ether way, sometimes I take it as a challenge to see what we can all get away with.

Lassie

Reaction score
http://www.superdutypsd.com/ball_joint_article.php

This is a ball joint write up, but in the middle of it there is a link to making the tool. It's about $10 worth of black iron screw pipe and a floor flange!!! Once you have the tool, the knuckle seal pops write on. It will last longer than these trucks.

And yes, even if you have manual lockers, change this seal if bad!! If it is worn enough, dirt can enter the spindle bearing of the unit bearing and destroy the shaft also!

Latest posts

Members online