Axle U-Joints

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips or tricks on removing axle U-joints? The clips are rusted in their seats and I can’t pry them out. I put some heat to them, let them cool, then tapped everything with a brass hammer to knock lose some rust, but still can’t get the clips out. If I don’t get any ideas, I’m just going to torch them out.

jbwaldrop88

Reaction score
I used penetrating oil and let them sit for a day, just kept soaking them, then I broke the clips out with a hammer and a screwdriver.

Zmann

Reaction score
Did u try to tap the cup in on the clip your working on ?
sometimes the clips get locked in pretty good by the cup

on a side not I pressed a ujoint out of a shaft without removing the clip once

I didn't see it LOL man that thing let loose and scared the hell out of Me

but the shaft was fine

dustinz85

Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips or tricks on removing axle U-joints? The clips are rusted in their seats and I can’t pry them out. I put some heat to them, let them cool, then tapped everything with a brass hammer to knock lose some rust, but still can’t get the clips out. If I don’t get any ideas, I’m just going to torch them out.

if i have a u joint that is really rusted in there i usually torch the center out of it and just hit the 4 cups into the center, then you dont have to worry about taking C clips off :toast:

Zmann

Reaction score
how would u hit the cups into the center to avoid removing the clips ?

EDIT RIF (reading is fundamental) torch the center of the cross out

good one

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dicked around with heat and penetrant and yada yada while.doing mine. Dont.waste your effin time! Torch the trunion(cross) out of the joint and pound the caps out. Dont sit there wondering if it'll come apart if im patient. Fire and brutality win this war!

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I usually just use a flat chisel on the end of the clip and they eventually come off. I've done some pretty bad ones too and haven't had a problem.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I usually just use a flat chisel on the end of the clip and they eventually come off. I've done some pretty bad ones too and haven't had a problem.

Dude, I broke a 3lb beater trying to get some out. Heat, penetrant, heat, penetrant ad nauseum. Done.any that bad? Like I said, never.again. LOL torch and save time.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
PB Blaster…tried it
Hammered the cups … tried it
Used a chisel … tried it
Heated with torch … tried it
BFH… tried it
My next plan was to hit the cups with an air chisel, and if that didn’t work torch the trunnion out. Should I use a plasma cutter or acetylene torch? My thinking is that I would heat the axle shaft a lot less with the plasma cutter.

Zmann

Reaction score
if u have a plasma that can cut the trunnion then heck ya but that is thick and cast

but a quick torch shouldn't be a problem

the air chisel will probably break the cups but just don't fubar the yokes

Reaction score
shop press 20-60 ton works good , same with cutting trunion out .
remember brute strength and ignorance can be your friend!

jbwaldrop88

Reaction score
Be careful with the press, I went to press out a cup that was rusted into an older yoke that the u-joint had broken in, the yoke cracked before the cup came out, course that wasn't a SD shaft.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Be careful with the press, I went to press out a cup that was rusted into an older yoke that the u-joint had broken in, the yoke cracked before the cup came out, course that wasn't a SD shaft.

Exactly! Driveshaft.shop told.me not to.do.that. Ever.

The bj press doesnt work either. Most people.dont.know the kinda.rust we grow.around.here. Torch em out....i wouldnt use my plasma.cutter....grease is no good.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Well I went at it with an air chisel on the caps and was able to get 1 clip out then called it a night. So I just dropped them of at an axle shop on my way to work because I’m running short on time and they had them knocked out, new U-joints installed, and called me within 20 min. they didn’t have to torch them. They claimed they have a special tool they use but wouldn’t share on their tool or technique. Just out of curiosity anybody have similar work done, what did they charge you?

jbwaldrop88

Reaction score
I supplied the u-joints and my driveline shop only charged me $35 to get the old ones out and press in the new ones, and thats for all my u-joints.

Latest posts

Members online