Battery failure?

mandkole

Reaction score
First issue with this truck since owning it...

I run it mostly just on weekends and last couple weeks, its been cooler at night in the shop. I've noticed that when the key is turned on to cycle the GPs and start the fuel pump, the pump sounded like it was running a little slower. Still went to 62 psi but when I started the truck, the starter also cranked a little slower.

Last Sunday, I started the truck to get it out to wash it. Same issues as above.

Today, I keyed the switch, the gauges sweeped, but the fuel pump did not run at all--no pressure at gauge. No interior chime. However, the motor did start (I shut it off quickly as pump was not running). Some troubleshooting observations at shutoff;

--batts had 12.1V (1 year old Costcos)
--pass side battery had water come out the vent (moisture on top of battery)
--at KOEO, GP relay 'wined'; 11.0V in, 10.7V out
--FP fuse good
--lights work (head and interior)

When the OBS had battery voltage issues, the relay would 'wine' also. I was surprised that the motor quickly started. Would the low voltage not have even allowed the timer to run? Is there anything else I should check on the pump circuit? Check the timer?

The batts have voltage, but suddenly stopped handling a load. Leaning to battery replacement; other thoughts? Anyone else have issues with Kirkland/Costco batteries?

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
Bad connections to terminals on batteries, weak batteries, corroded cables, etc. Could be several things. Disconnect the batteries and load test them to start off.

Zaairman

Reaction score
Check the connections at your batteries. I had similar issues with mine, turns out the negative clamp on the passenger side battery was loose.

I also have Costco batteries. I haven't had stellar luck with them, but with 3 year free replacement per set no questions asked, I can't complain too much. I think my first set lasted a little over a year before needing replaced due to being drained down all the time cause of the issue above. Second set lasted 2 years and 11 months before one wouldn't hold a charge.

My truck also sits a lot like yours (sometimes 3-4 weeks at the most). That, combined with how hard these trucks are on batteries makes me think that is why they are dying early. I also installed a battery tender ($25 @ Walmart, ran the plug out by the block heater cord) that I will plug in if I know the truck will be sitting over a week.

mandkole

Reaction score
A little more searching-- The PCM runs (good signal/data on the scan gauge). Ive also noted that they gauges do not 'home', which according to Isspro is a voltage issue. I've disconnected both batteries to reset the PCM--with some of the accys not getting good power, it acts like its in limp mode (just a theory).

I fully cleaned the terminals (not dirty, but one batt had begun to boil over). Another noted issue was that I charged the batts individually and the pass side batt (with the boil over), was trying to take close to 15.6V-- Ive never seen a healthy battery on a 10A charger take that level of charge.

Im going to likely kick these to the curb and get the Dekas that Ive had in everything I've owned for the past 10 years.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ive tried disconnecting the GP relay to remove some load but it still will not engage the pump relay. With the pump and the PCM on same fuse, the pump is not being told to run.

its battery time...

powerlifter405

Reaction score
My 02 ate batteries every 2 years or so. My 99, if the cables are even slightly loose, it won't even try to spin the starter.

Just replace both batteries and you'll be good for a few more years.

mandkole

Reaction score
Just to close this thread out, one of the batteries was on its way out and struggled to pass load test, but that was not the real problem. After correcting the test light issue, the fuel pump circuit works fine but the pump is locking up.

HKusp

Reaction score
Wow, good diagnostic. To add to the battery issue, even though you seem to have handled it, I would also look at the passenger side ground. It attaches to the block towards the front of the motor. You probably are not somewhere where the weather is cold or you wouldn't be talking about removing the GP relay in November, and I don't know where you are located so road salt may not be an issue with you, but it can and does corrode at that spot from time to time. I would maybe check all the battery cables near the ends by pulling back some of the insulation. The braided wires they are made from will eventually corrode a bit and have a green powder that shows up. It really hampers the charging systems ability to maintain the batteties. Just my .02.

mandkole

Reaction score
Well, I dont know about good troubleshooting.. lol. I saw signs of battery issues and their loaded voltage was very low, but Im a Deka battery snob so I overreacted on the batts a little bit. I think the weak battery 'might' have raised its head as the temps get colder, but, they werent the real issue. If my test light had worked correctly on the pump power supply in the first place I'd likely still have the batteries. I would have realized immediately that the pump had power and just locked up.

What this whole deal has caused me to do is look at the truck a little closer. Im learning a lot about fuel systems and trannies. I've had it since April and its been almost perfect, however now that the weather is getting cooler, its beginning to show some change in behavior that I need to look at. Its just a typical 13yr old truck...

Latest posts

Members online