Battery upgrade

bad12jr

Reaction score
I have platinums. From reading it seemed that oddessy manufactured them for sears. They are also a gel battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Homesteader

Reaction score
May have to look into another battery. 520.00 for two platinum batteries.The only batteries I have direct contact with and will make things easier if any go bad is Napa. Everything else must be shipped in.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Platinums are an AGM battery. They are more resistant to problems from vibration than flooded lead acid batteries. They can be deep cycled without any real issues (up to 80%). They are lighter weight and generally have a higher current capacity due to a lower internal resistance. They also have a lower self discharge rate than lead acid.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Platinums are an AGM battery. They are more resistant to problems from vibration than flooded lead acid batteries. They can be deep cycled without any real issues (up to 80%). They are lighter weight and generally have a higher current capacity due to a lower internal resistance. They also have a lower self discharge rate than lead acid.

This^^^ always was referred to them as gel since they didn't leak or have add water to them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ja_cain

Reaction score
I think it stands for the absorbed glass mat between the plates that holds the electrolyte. Gel cell uses a silica material to hold the electrolyte.

The Next Level

Reaction score
The Fleets and ect. around her use Northern Batteries. I got a pair $170.
The old guys around here like them...

greyford1979

Reaction score
To my knowledge one made by EastPenn/Deka. Optima went downhill after being bought by JohnsonControls and being moved to Mexico(had one almost burn down my 79), and from reading when I bought my batteries a year and half ago, the Diehard Platinums and the Odyssey batteries are pretty much the same battery.

TARM

Reaction score
Hey guys I have come out of my winter hibernation yet again.

Optimas ALL optimas turned to **** after they were bought out a number of years ago. It is widely known in the offroading community. They exist only from the old rep and cost.

The Motorcraft batteries that come on a new vehicle are great and made in the USA but unfortunately like so many parts the factory replacement is of lesser quality and as they no longer have to hold to a certain amount made in the USA most are foreign. This unfortunately is the case with the batteries and you will notice if you look at the sticker unless something has changed in the last year it will say made in Mexico I beleive. Not saying you can not get one and they will not last but they are not the same and have shown based on consumer reports far more issues in life and performance.

Most of the other batteries you can get like duralast etc are about on an even playing field. Outside boutique batteries the best performance warranty by far are those made by Energysys and one of their companies Odyssey. The real steal here is the Diehard ( yes Sears) Platinum. THis is only the Platinum and no other level by Diehard. All the Platium battiers are duplicates of the Odyssey with the only dif being the case and in some instances the terminals but its the same battery off the same line. It also carries basically the same crazy long warranty. Full replacement for 4 years and then another couple years prorated from the end of that first 4 years.

The group 65 is the one you want Model # 51065 run between $200-250 depending on sales IIRC.
This is the same as the Odyssey Extreme 65-PCI-1750. Odyssey gives a much better detailed specs sheet for it so use theirs. http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

They have way way more cold and normal/hot cranking amps @ 930 and 1750 respectively. SO for two you double that 1860 and 3500.

Reserve Capacity (RC): is a 130 amp

Also this is for a single battery of course so you double all these numbers.

While it may be true of some batteries that higher CC means shorter life that is without a doubt not the case with these glass mat specifically. The warranty alone should show that as they have the highest CCA CA in there class and have the longest free replacement. Not to mention odyssey has one of the best perf records in the industry.

Why the Diehard Plat are steal is that branded Odyssey of the same battery can run up to $400+ per bat and its the same thing minus the bright orange case.

I have posted on this stuff numerous times if you do a search of diehard and my user name it should pull up all the tech info.

just a FYI I left my batteries sit from mid fall -all winter to just a few weeks ago and they still have 99% charge. A few weeks were below zero and majority below freezing.

Word of caution DO NOT USE just any battery charger unless its just to jump start and not recharge on these even if they have a glass mat setting. It can ruin your batteries. Ask my how I know. First as far as I know it must be electronic charger, in other words, if its heavy and big then its not a the one to use for sure. IMHO just get the one sold and branded by Odyssey. Again this is only if you are going to have one. For trickle chargers just make sure its putting out the correct voltage but again I would call Odyssey or look on there list.

The ODYSSEY Ultimizer™ Charger is the one to get and it has worked great for me over the years. I leave it hooked up when I am not using it for more than a week.

IF you have happened to have had a battery go bad before its time in your estimation take the time to check your alt output if its not putting out the 13.5 or great volts as if lower or over 15v it will hurt the battery over time.

Honestly just take less than an hour of your time and read thru the tech and other literature on there site. I would not follow anything Sears puts out but follow Odyssey as they are the actual manf. not a reseller.

They give a great owners manual that will show you charts etc on how to gauge how discharged your batteries is then then whats best to do if anything other than just starting it etc..

But they are suppose to hold enough charge at normal indoor temps to not need a recharge for storing for 2 yr and if its colder say 50 F they can be extended to 4 yrs. Not to shabby. Again that is unhooked where there is no drain of course.

Oh and I would never go to a single battery on a daily driver I needed to be as reliable as possible. But if you want to upgrade and put the bat in the bed or frame rail etc then you could go to the marine platinum diehard and get two. It would give you a longer run time if you run winches or lights without engine running or that over power the alt output.

Well thats what I got and have babbled on way to long about the subject.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hey guys I have come out of my winter hibernation yet again.

Optimas ALL optimas turned to **** after they were bought out a number of years ago. It is widely known in the offroading community. They exist only from the old rep and cost.

The Motorcraft batteries that come on a new vehicle are great and made in the USA but unfortunately like so many parts the factory replacement is of lesser quality and as they no longer have to hold to a certain amount made in the USA most are foreign. This unfortunately is the case with the batteries and you will notice if you look at the sticker unless something has changed in the last year it will say made in Mexico I beleive. Not saying you can not get one and they will not last but they are not the same and have shown based on consumer reports far more issues in life and performance.

Most of the other batteries you can get like duralast etc are about on an even playing field. Outside boutique batteries the best performance warranty by far are those made by Energysys and one of their companies Odyssey. The real steal here is the Diehard ( yes Sears) Platinum. THis is only the Platinum and no other level by Diehard. All the Platium battiers are duplicates of the Odyssey with the only dif being the case and in some instances the terminals but its the same battery off the same line. It also carries basically the same crazy long warranty. Full replacement for 4 years and then another couple years prorated from the end of that first 4 years.

The group 65 is the one you want Model # 51065 run between $200-250 depending on sales IIRC.
This is the same as the Odyssey Extreme 65-PCI-1750. Odyssey gives a much better detailed specs sheet for it so use theirs. http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

They have way way more cold and normal/hot cranking amps @ 930 and 1750 respectively. SO for two you double that 1860 and 3500.

Reserve Capacity (RC): is a 130 amp

Also this is for a single battery of course so you double all these numbers.

While it may be true of some batteries that higher CC means shorter life that is without a doubt not the case with these glass mat specifically. The warranty alone should show that as they have the highest CCA CA in there class and have the longest free replacement. Not to mention odyssey has one of the best perf records in the industry.

Why the Diehard Plat are steal is that branded Odyssey of the same battery can run up to $400+ per bat and its the same thing minus the bright orange case.

I have posted on this stuff numerous times if you do a search of diehard and my user name it should pull up all the tech info.

just a FYI I left my batteries sit from mid fall -all winter to just a few weeks ago and they still have 99% charge. A few weeks were below zero and majority below freezing.

Word of caution DO NOT USE just any battery charger unless its just to jump start and not recharge on these even if they have a glass mat setting. It can ruin your batteries. Ask my how I know. First as far as I know it must be electronic charger, in other words, if its heavy and big then its not a the one to use for sure. IMHO just get the one sold and branded by Odyssey. Again this is only if you are going to have one. For trickle chargers just make sure its putting out the correct voltage but again I would call Odyssey or look on there list.

The ODYSSEY Ultimizer™ Charger is the one to get and it has worked great for me over the years. I leave it hooked up when I am not using it for more than a week.

IF you have happened to have had a battery go bad before its time in your estimation take the time to check your alt output if its not putting out the 13.5 or great volts as if lower or over 15v it will hurt the battery over time.

Honestly just take less than an hour of your time and read thru the tech and other literature on there site. I would not follow anything Sears puts out but follow Odyssey as they are the actual manf. not a reseller.

They give a great owners manual that will show you charts etc on how to gauge how discharged your batteries is then then whats best to do if anything other than just starting it etc..

But they are suppose to hold enough charge at normal indoor temps to not need a recharge for storing for 2 yr and if its colder say 50 F they can be extended to 4 yrs. Not to shabby. Again that is unhooked where there is no drain of course.

Oh and I would never go to a single battery on a daily driver I needed to be as reliable as possible. But if you want to upgrade and put the bat in the bed or frame rail etc then you could go to the marine platinum diehard and get two. It would give you a longer run time if you run winches or lights without engine running or that over power the alt output.

Well thats what I got and have babbled on way to long about the subject.
TARM!!! good to see you back sir!

live life full throttle