bed liner coating on valve covers

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
After reading Sun's results from putting truck bed liner on his valve covers ( http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48957 ), I found a company that makes a fairly thick bed liner that is supposed to be really tough, Reflex Spray-On Truck Liners. http://www.langeman.com/Reflex/

The MOPAR dealer (http://www.millermotor.net) in the next town can install it, so I have an extra set of valve covers that I'm going to try to drop off on monday since I have to be there anyway for work.

My hope is that with the rubbery surface will absorb more of the noise and also deaden the valve covers.

My Droid has a decibel meter app, so I'll use that to get some comparison data.

Tom S

Reaction score
Well I had some spray on bedliner applied to the valve covers. Temp rating is 350 degrees.

Guy only charged me $20 so I tipped him another $20.

Haven't ran the engine yet to see if it made any difference in sound levels but I hope to tonight.

It's not very thick. 1/8" maybe. I wish I had requested it thicker. The VC's are heavier now and knocking on them w/ my knuckles creates a very dull 'thud' now.

Sorry but I'm not 100% sure of the brand but it's the hard shiny type as opposed to the soft rubbier type.

I briefly considered coating the underside but it's not worth the risk. If some of that breaks off you could kiss that motor good by. And heat, fumes, and constant oil spray could make that happen imo.

It's not very thick. 1/8" maybe. I wish I had requested it thicker. The VC's are heavier now and knocking on them w/ my knuckles creates a very dull 'thud' now.

Sorry but I'm not 100% sure of the brand but it's the hard shiny type as opposed to the soft rubbier type.

I briefly considered coating the underside but it's not worth the risk. If some of that breaks off you could kiss that motor good by. And heat, fumes, and constant oil spray could make that happen imo.
Still works great. Noise level is WAY down. I don't know, half probably. For the first time in years I can drive down the highway (slowly) w/ single shot injectors and a 5" exhaust and sometimes all I hear is the soothing whir of my tires.

The only thing I would do differently is have him go thicker next time.

I don't even know the name of the place but I can tell you how to get there. PM me and I'll give you the info.

When I say half, I'm telling you that the sound level of the engine, specifically the injector amd combustion clanking, is like half of what it was. My truck has been really, really loud for years. Now it sounds like a stock 7.3 w/ maybe a 4" exhaust w/ some sort of muffler in place.

I wouldn't use Dynomat on the valve covers. it has a tar based backing and it would look like crap anyways.

Years ago I stripped my interior and sound proofed it w/ 2 layers of dynomat and some lead sheeting by the firewall. (the earliest '99s like mine had no real cab sound proofing) Honestly, it didn't make that much difference. I think it lowered interior cab noises by around 10-20%. The valve cover being coated made more difference for sure and has the added benefit of being quieter outside the truck as well. I feel like I could almost order at a drive thru or go thru the bank teller line w/o shutting the truck down. Almost.

I can speak comfortably on my cell phone again in my truck! Windows up.

They painted right over my bolt holes so I just drilled them out once I got it back.

I figure the very hottest valve covers would ever get would be 230 or so but even that is doubtful.

I looked at Lizard Skin. Cheapest I could get it done for was about $2-300. The bedliner guy charged me much less.

There are Suns Posts without the trip to PSN.

Tom S

Reaction score
I was thinking I am going to try and limit the PSN link so that this site starts developing more of it's own character. I am looking forward to your results although I have a really nice set of chrome valve covers from Wide Open.

young7.3

Reaction score
This looks really interesting. With that much of noise reduction for what little money it costs, why not do it? Unless of course you want to paint it a color.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I just called around.. I have Line-x and rhino liner dealers in my area both say they can do it for about $75. but which product would be best to use on valve covers. and id like to do at least 1/8" - 3/16" -1/4" thick. linex said they wouldnt recommend over 1/8" thick

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Dan, I was going to get mine done also after reading suns posts. Probably should have left my set out and had you grab those, too.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Dan, I was going to get mine done also after reading suns posts. Probably should have left my set out and had you grab those, too.

If I'd thought of it, I'd have offered.
I'll let you ride with me next time we meet and see if you like it.

I dropped them off today. Should be ready sometime tomorrow or Wednesday. I hope to have them on by Friday night so I can really see how I like it on my way to relatives for the Independence Day.

BTW, I think you need to work on the van's suspension. It's riding hard on the bump stops. LOL

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
What kind of prep (if any) are you guys doing on the valve covers before getting them coated?

Sam

I degreased them as good as I could, took as much of the stickers off as I could, and sanded/wire-brushed them. I was pretty pressed for time, so I didn't get them as good as I would have liked. The guys at the shop said they would take care of the rest of the prep. Basically I didn't want to be THAT a-hole coated brought in nasty parts to get coated.

Rowdy Racks

Reaction score
I had a local shop spray my nerf bars and headache rack on my truck with Reflex cause they said it was the best for show trucks and it never would fade. I'm not happy with it at all, the color has not faded but the coating on the top of the rack is pretty much gone from material being hauled on it. I dont think I would use it for the valve covers due to my nerf bars are flaking a pealing off where diesel fuel has over flowed out while fueling on them.

Latest posts

Members online