Best Diesel Research

MCarter788

Reaction score
So, I just got a '15 Platinum and have been reading on the internet like crazy about the best maintenance and such. The area of most concern that I have been looking into is diesel quality. I started off this research with not too much knowledge about diesel fuel at all. One of the first things that I came across was cetane ratings. I know that the higher the rating the higher the quality of fuel you're putting in your vehicle. So I went out to search for the highest quality fuel in my area. This was pretty difficult because you can't just go to a store and ask the store clerk about their diesel fuel. Most of the people who work at gas stations don't know anything about their fuel. After reading on a lot of other forms including a TDI forum I found this information which I found to be very useful.
hutume2e.jpg

suzuve4y.jpg

yzagunus.jpg

9uqysagy.jpg

So I proceeded to look for those specific stations in my area. This also became a very difficult task, because I could not find any of those higher-quality stations or fuel sources in my area which was surprising to me since I live in Dallas. Let me clarify, I could find a few of the stations that had Chevron with Techron and I did use them, but the stations made me nervous because they were not very clean and they did not look like they had a very high turnover rate. I have since then fill my truck up three times and try to use Chevron with Techron on a couple of times and then the third time I used a Quiktrip for my diesel fuel. I was not too sure about the Quiktrip fuel, but I decided to go ahead and use it because they have some interesting backing behind their gasoline. Supposedly if you can show that you have always filled up at a Quiktrip and if you ever have any kind of fuel system issues they will pay to replace whatever you need on your vehicle because they guarantee that their fuels are quality. I figured if their gasoline had such good support then their diesel fuel must have the same as well. But just in case, I decided to get additive too. I was able to pick this little bottle at the quick trip and I put it in the tank with the diesel that I put in my truck.
a7uqu4ym.jpg

Have any of you guys used to this additive before? I wasn't sure, but I figured it was good because Lucas Oil is a really good company from what I understand.

After I filled up I continued to search on the Internet for fuel sources in the Dallas area and I came across this interesting website.
http://www.reederdistributors.com/fuels.html
Supposedly there extreme diesel fuel is the highest quality you can get. They really go into explaining exactly what makes their extreme diesel so superior. If you go to this link you can read more about it.
http://reeder.powerservicextremediesel.com
What do y'all think about this place as a distributor? I think I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they distribute to any gas stations in the Dallas area. I will be sure to let everyone know what stations they deliver to or distribute to if I find that information out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Thanks for the share of info! How long ago did the VW guy do his research? I live in the DFW Metroplex as well and wish we had Sunoco stations here. My grandparents live in Florida and love the fuel milage they get in their gas vehicles when they buy Sunoco.

My whole family (mothers side and my immediate) hand calculates fuel info at every fill up. We use the Driver's Diary app now instead of paper excel sheets in a folder. I was taught from the age of 14 how and why to log your vehicle info. It's helped me save money and get better fuel mileage. Even helps predict when something is going wrong with my vehicle.

After 7 years of buying diesel there are places I know are terrible for fuel...STAY AWAY FROM WALMART!! I use to get the worst mileage and the truck would run the worst (08' Dodge 3500 CTD and 06' F250 PS).

I've never used Lucas products probably because my pawpaw swore by it in every engine and tranny he owned. Every vehicle that got Lucas in the oil burned oil before 100k and every one that got Lucas in the tranny slipped around 100k and overheated. Not saying the diesel additive is bad, its just me and my $.02.

I am really glad to see this info as I myself have always wondered what you did. Thanks again for the share!!;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MCarter788

Reaction score
Thanks for the share of info! How long ago did the VW guy do his research?

So it looks like it was all the way back in 2008 when this was posted. If any of you have present time numbers then please share. I'll try to call some of these companies and see if I can get some numbers too.

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
Yeah I'm really interested to see any current numbers I've been filling up at solely sheets for oh 6k miles or so this upsets me they're only 40 cetane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mustube

Reaction score
Lucas products are old technology. If you're going to use an additive in your fuel, then buy one made specifically for diesels. Diesel Kleen has a cetane additive in it, which is what you are looking for anyways. I put lucas stop slip in a transmission and it died within 500 miles. Take that for what you will, but I do not use lucas in my personal vehicles.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
if they're recommending lucas fuel treatment, take everything else they said and throw it out the window with it

MCarter788

Reaction score
if they're recommending lucas fuel treatment, take everything else they said and throw it out the window with it

It wasn't recommended, I saw it on the shelf and I thought it would be a good product. Needless to say, I won't be using it again. As far as Quiktrip goes, I have contacted them and they said they will get back to me tomorrow about my questions. When they get back to me I will post what they said, and then hopefully we can get an updated list going of all the fuel sources and their quality.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
FWIW, I only fill up at two Hess stations because they flow a lot of fuel and have the best prices. I use the additive from Ford simply because if something happens I used nothing but Ford products. I get a discount from the dealer so I pay the same amount as I used to for PowerService.

Maybe I'm crazy and there is better stuff out there, but I'm happy with the truck and it runs awesome.

MCarter788

Reaction score
So to follow up with what I found out, I called reeder distributors and spoke with them about their diesel and it's quality. Although their webpage is impressive with details their cetane rating is still only 43. This isn't relevant to the list I am wanting to make because they don't supply and gas stations anyways. They only have one pump that an individual can go fill up at and it is in Ft Worth. They mostly supply companies that use a lot of diesel for personal fleets. I guess if you are in that area and have a fleet they might be a reasonable option. They charge $3.69/gallon which is the same as most gas stations in this area.

As far as Quiktrip goes I contacted someone from corporate that said their cetane rating is 40, and they only add lubricant. So here is the start of an up to date list...

Quiktrip - 40 (lubricant added)

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with Quick Trip. Sad that they are only 40 cetane rating. I know there are more of them around here (them and race track).

Reeder was a surprise at 43.

I keep looking at Shell and Chevron numbers from the VW guys list. I wonder if they are still that high.

13' CCSB FX4 6.7, 17"MB wheels, Cooper oversized all terrains, Amsoil 15w40 Diesel/Marine oil with Ea Oil Filter.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Just for future reference...the customers that have used Lucas fuel treatment have had injectors die almost immediately. I do like other Lucas products but the fuel treatment seems to be a bad additive. Use power service and I would suggest extra filtration like diesel sites 6.7 filter kit. IF AND ONLY IF you are deleted, the next best fuel treatment is 2 cycle oil. Others may differ. I am only speaking from personal experience from 6.0s, 6.4s, and 6.7s...It works. Old school still works.

gfulton

Reaction score
Just for future reference...the customers that have used Lucas fuel treatment have had injectors die almost immediately. I do like other Lucas products but the fuel treatment seems to be a bad additive. Use power service and I would suggest extra filtration like diesel sites 6.7 filter kit. IF AND ONLY IF you are deleted, the next best fuel treatment is 2 cycle oil. Others may differ. I am only speaking from personal experience from 6.0s, 6.4s, and 6.7s...It works. Old school still works.

I use walmart twc 2 cycle oil also. 1 oz. per gal.
Also deleted.......

MCarter788

Reaction score
I just purchased a few bottles of Diesel Kleen + Cetane Booster. Hopefully this will be the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Suprdzlduty and gfulton are right in terms of lubricity, if that's even a word, but for lubrication AND cetane boost Schaffer Oil has great diesel additive products. The way that their technical analyst explained it to me was that the power service products and other companies that offer additives not specified for newer diesel vehicles and common rail fuel systems are pretty much using technology from the mid 90's. Fuel systems have changed drastically since then and so has the fuel that we put in them. Schaffer's offers fuel additives that are made with the newest technology for diesel fuel systems and the type of fuel consumers are purchasing. All of the msds information is offered on their website. I believe their newest and best fuel additive they offer right now it's the 137ctpa. It is very hard to find locally and when you look for it online, it's around $28 per bottle which is ridiculous. I work in Delaware and just so happen to be close to one of their salesmen and he can get me a case of the stuff for around $300. I believe a case is24 bottles and each bottle treats about 125 gallons. They will sell to the public but they will only sell this product by the case and when you buy it from them without going through one of their sales reps, your going to pay around $375 per case. Their products are top notch and their customer service is great. I highly recommend Schaffer oil products to anyone driving a diesel powered vehicle. Also on a side note, their oil is phenomenal. Not only does it hold up to the shearing effect of the 6.0l, it also reduces heat/fiction better than most companies out there. And they do it with a paraffin based oil and molybdenum, which is mined out of Colorado. That's right, organic!

MCarter788

Reaction score
Well I have another one to add to the list. After about 2 weeks of calling and a few emails I finally got an answer out of Shell.
epegehed.jpg

So here is the updated list.

Shell - 44-50 (dependent on time of year)
Quiktrip - 40 (lubricant added)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online