Best EGR delete Kit?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Elite kit doesn't come with new exhaust manifold bolts/allow removal of brackets or come with a power steering standoff, for a factory looking delete.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Elite kit doesn't come with new exhaust manifold bolts/allow removal of brackets or come with a power steering standoff, for a factory looking delete.

uh ... what does removing brackets have to do with an egr delete ? if you remove coolers, brackets are there for the taking. and why would you need exhaust manifold bolts ?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Because the lower cooler bracket is held on with exhaust manifold bolts that are longer than the ones that don't hold the bracket on?

They don't offer sufficient clamping force when the bracket is removed since they're about 1/2" longer than they need to be.

I suppose you could just pile up washers under them to take up the slack, that would look pretty sharp.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Because the lower cooler bracket is held on with exhaust manifold bolts that are longer than the ones that don't hold the bracket on?

They don't offer sufficient clamping force when the bracket is removed since they're about 1/2" longer than they need to be.

I suppose you could just pile up washers under them to take up the slack, that would look pretty sharp.

not sure what truck you got, but mine had band straps holding mine on.

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score

What does the length of a bolt have to do with clamping force? As long as there are threads to tighten it up on You can have a 8 ft bolt and have the same claming force as a 2 inch bolt. I used the stock bolts with a nut on the other side. This **** is simple. if you cant figure it out. Do us all a favor, sell your truck and buy a motorcycle to ride off the grand canyon.

Cknox121

Reaction score
He is saying the bolts are too long. Since they are to long, they provide zero clamping force because they head if the bolt do not even come close to holding down the manifold. My flow pro came with new bolts.

And for the power steering line, I just used the stock stud and reinstalled it.

Plus removing the brackets takes another 20lbs off the truck:)

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
if he's just going to tune it and drive it, I wouldn't touch anything EGR related...

175k on my tune-only F350 (300hp tune since 108k)

240k on my buddy's Job 1 F250 tuned at 125k

I had the motor for my 250 on the ground and didn't waste any time messing with the EGR

aint broke? no fix

91turbogsx

Reaction score
not sure what truck you got, but mine had band straps holding mine on.

This is all the crap you can remove. There are multiple brackets that hold the clamps. If you look to the left you'll see the bracket with the band clamps you speak of. Those band clamps are riveted or spot welded to that bracket.

872-C4DDD43B25E3-2837-0000020E9839C50B_zps7d4f44eb.jpg

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
we use the XDP kit, in all honest, I have used sinster, xdp, flow pro, and another one I cant think of off hand. They are all just about the same, as was mentioned above, just find the one with the best deal at the time and go with it. If you are removing the coolers, then there is no reason not to remove the brackets as well.

few hours and your good to go

Lassie

Reaction score
if he's just going to tune it and drive it, I wouldn't touch anything EGR related...

175k on my tune-only F350 (300hp tune since 108k)

240k on my buddy's Job 1 F250 tuned at 125k

I had the motor for my 250 on the ground and didn't waste any time messing with the EGR

aint broke? no fix

Have you ever seen the inside of a 6.0 IM or head? After seeing it, I don't think you'd ever leave an EGR system on again.

Lassie

Reaction score

Appreciate that

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
That's good. I didn't realize they figured out how to not produce soot when diesel fuel combusts. Good to know.

The beauty of the dual cooler system is that it breaks the gas down much more efficiently than its counterpart system found on the 6.liter. Having dealt with both systems, both types of power plants and the engine parts that are directly effected by the EGR system in both vehicles.... I'd say I feel confident that my prior statement isn't to far off. Physically, is the egr system beneficial to aftermarket performance of your vehicle, no not at all. Is gonna kill a realistically stock truck with a tune and a atmo turbo? No, not at all. JD made some pretty good power with bolt ons while still running the egr system. 200whpliter is also making good reliable power with his coolers intact and bolt on power adders. So to get back to what Forrest was saying, is it completely necessary and a must do mod for 6.4's with studs and a tuner? No, no it's not. I also understand that every little bit helps too though, so it's up to the owner what they want to do, but he wasn't wrong in making his statement.

Lassie

Reaction score
Good points both. But, he will be doing the deletes even if I advised him not to based on 6.4s doing it cleaner. The 6.0 EGR horror will cause EGRs to be deleted for many years IMO.

Latest posts

Members online