best (usable) single turbo street setup?

hobo-stew

Reaction score
looking to build up my 05' ccsb when i get back from deployment. i see alot suggesting 190-205cc injectors and a s366 for a street setup. im no stranger to pushing a "street" setup in the gas world. if that is an average street/strip setup, i would like to take it a step above.
first off, i cant find a good pricing for hybrid injectors? i figure to do what i want i would need to invest in hybrids being as there isnt an aftermarket hpop for my truck yet. how much more do they run than big conventionals?
ive seen a couple run 300/150 hybrids and a 72mm, and one with a 300/150 68mm setup that is stepping up to a larger turbo, all for the intended purpose of street duty.
im not money bags by any means i just happen to have the ability to save up what i need over time. so at the time compounds is not what im looking at doing. maybe in the future. which goes into my next question, should i go for a big single like a 68+ and id be fine? or would i be wasting alot of time and money and should stick with a 66mm or less and add a second turbo for a compound setup down the road? if possible id love to stay single to meet my goals though.
what id really like to run is mid-low 7's in the 1/8. dont care too much about 1/4, not many 1/4 mile tracks where im from. and i dont want it to spool at the speed of a snail, or be so rediculous that i cant hook on the street in 4x4

strokethis_06

Reaction score
I have a 66 and 275/150s. I love it. It is very streetable. I like to take it a step above also. I went with 275s with plans of compounds. If you want a single to push the edge of streetable I would say its bigger than a 66.

hobo-stew

Reaction score
I have a 66 and 275/150s. I love it. It is very streetable. I like to take it a step above also. I went with 275s with plans of compounds. If you want a single to push the edge of streetable I would say its bigger than a 66.

what are you running with your setup and how much are you making? if you dont mind me asking.
275's seem big for a 66, does it clear them up well?
you say a 66 isnt enough then aye? so definitely a 68+ then?

strokethis_06

Reaction score
I just got it put together a couple weeks ago. Not sure where power is at. Yes the 275s are a bit big for the 66. The plan is to compound it with those sticks.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
i run a 66 with 205s, for the turbo size, i find the 66 is right on the edge of too big for the street, although it depends what your definition of streetable is. We are goign to do a 66 and a set of 190s on a truck here shortly and im thinking that combination will be pretty solid with the supporting mods.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
i run a 66 with 205s, for the turbo size, i find the 66 is right on the edge of too big for the street, although it depends what your definition of streetable is. We are goign to do a 66 and a set of 190s on a truck here shortly and im thinking that combination will be pretty solid with the supporting mods.

Mark you run a 70 t3 and I run a 91 t4. There has been a lot of discussion over which housing spools better. I have never run a t3 housing so I cant compare. In the end though its just like you said Mark. Its all in the drivers definition of streetable.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I run 300 150%s and a 72mm 4094R, ball bearing t4 .85, I find the charger surprisingly streetable, I'm sure the ball bearing features help in that area, the 150 nozzle hybrids however, are clean around town, but under heavy throttle pretty smokey and never clear up LOL

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Mark you run a 70 t3 and I run a 91 t4. There has been a lot of discussion over which housing spools better. I have never run a t3 housing so I cant compare. In the end though its just like you said Mark. Its all in the drivers definition of streetable.

This is correct, im in the process now of deciding to change the housing and and add up pipes and manifolds to see if that will help the driveability and spool...

hobo-stew

Reaction score

why do you say the 66 is on the edge of too big? arent you looking to make more power right now? from seeing your threads.

I just got it put together a couple weeks ago. Not sure where power is at. Yes the 275s are a bit big for the 66. The plan is to compound it with those sticks.

what were you planning on compounding the 66 with?

I run 300 150%s and a 72mm 4094R, ball bearing t4 .85, I find the charger surprisingly streetable, I'm sure the ball bearing features help in that area, the 150 nozzle hybrids however, are clean around town, but under heavy throttle pretty smokey and never clear up LOL

your thread is the one that got me thinking bigger then the 66. how is applying power on the street though? thats what im concerned about when i refer to streetable, i dont want it to be so much that i have to worry about stomping on it and just melting the tires or start having major traction issues.
knowing what you know from this setup now, would you change anything? or do you feel you have found the best single turbo street/strip setup at this point in time?

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
There is a learning curve to keeping the smoke away. You're not going to floor it in traffic ever with a big single with sizable Injectors. I think my current setup
is pushing the limit for sure, the sticks are huge but I just wanted to say I did it and daily drove them. I've been pretty impressed thus far with the 72. It definitely helps being roller bearing and a smaller 77x68 turbine. If I were to do it again for a bad to the bone dd setup I would do the 4094r 68 billet unit with 205 75s or 100s, .85 housing and divided up pipes. I plan on transferring this setup to the race trucks built motor setup soon as the motor and trans are together.

hobo-stew

Reaction score
There is a learning curve to keeping the smoke away. You're not going to floor it in traffic ever with a big single with sizable Injectors. I think my current setup
is pushing the limit for sure, the sticks are huge but I just wanted to say I did it and daily drove them. I've been pretty impressed thus far with the 72. It definitely helps being roller bearing and a smaller 77x68 turbine. If I were to do it again for a bad to the bone dd setup I would do the 4094r 68 billet unit with 205 75s or 100s, .85 housing and divided up pipes. I plan on transferring this setup to the race trucks built motor setup soon as the motor and trans are together.

if you have the big injectors and the 72 running well as a dd, why if you were to build a bad street setup would you downsize injectors and turbo to a 68 and 205's? just trying to wrap my head around the downgrade is all.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score

Very good honest response. Yes its drivable, can I floor it in traffic "no" not without blacking out 4lanes. But yes learning to drive it right it is streetable. I like your response.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
if you have the big injectors and the 72 running well as a dd, why if you were to build a bad street setup would you downsize injectors and turbo to a 68 and 205's? just trying to wrap my head around the downgrade is all.

To squeeze a bit more throttle response, atomization, and drivability out as possible. That would be the reasoning behind the smaller compressor and more street friendly, stock oil pump friendly setup.

stroker57

Reaction score
you can drive 300's on the street but like jj said you have to learn how. id say 205/150 with a 68 would make a bada$$ street truck and be more streetable then the 300's are. i ran 205/100 with a 66 and put my truck in the high 12's in the quart and if you dont want any major traction issues that'd be the way to go

strokethis_06

Reaction score
you can drive 300's on the street but like jj said you have to learn how. id say 205/150 with a 68 would make a bada$$ street truck and be more streetable then the 300's are. i ran 205/100 with a 66 and put my truck in the high 12's in the quart and if you dont want any major traction issues that'd be the way to go

I agree. 68 and 205s would be a nice setup on the edge of streetable.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We have a local customer with 190 100s we are doing a gt4094 68mm .85 t4 divided on pretty soon.

Latest posts

Members online