Best Year

Homesteader

Reaction score
Hey guys
What would be the best year for the 6.4's? Any issues or concern with a specific year? What to look for and what to watch out for.

pog

Reaction score
All of them are fine. 08 job 1's had some minor issues. 08 job 2 and newer you will be good.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you get a 2008, try to find a Job 3. I would look for 2009-2010 trucks though.

I dont own one, but this is what I hear. On here and from personal contacts I have in the local diesel place.

A 09 or 10 would be the best, imo.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
It's based on build dates and several different major changes on the 2008 trucks. There are Job 1, 2, and 3 2008 trucks.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
the 09 and 10 have SYNC. the 09 still had 3.73 gears, and the 10s have 3.55 gears. that only really comes into play when you are planning on either racing, or putting BIG tires on with a lift. if you are planning on heavily modding, ei, trans, fuel, turbos, etc, then get the 08. the issues that it had, were all of the above, and if you are going to mod them anyways, might as well save some money, and get an older model....

The SYNC is nice, if you are looking for a more luxurious rig. King Ranch, Harley Davidson, etc. lets you tie your ipod into the stereo. and the NAV system is more advanced. if you arent looking for that, then like everyone else said, get a late model 08, save some coin, and have a blast!

Homesteader

Reaction score
the 09 and 10 have SYNC. the 09 still had 3.73 gears, and the 10s have 3.55 gears. that only really comes into play when you are planning on either racing, or putting BIG tires on with a lift. if you are planning on heavily modding, ei, trans, fuel, turbos, etc, then get the 08. the issues that it had, were all of the above, and if you are going to mod them anyways, might as well save some money, and get an older model....
If I was to get one I would like it somewhat heavily modded. So what improvements did the later years get comparedto the 08?What gears did the 08's have?

The SYNC is nice, if you are looking for a more luxurious rig. King Ranch, Harley Davidson, etc. lets you tie your ipod into the stereo. and the NAV system is more advanced. if you arent looking for that, then like everyone else said, get a late model 08, save some coin, and have a blast! What other models did they have besides the King Ranch and the Harley?

Last edited:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
If I was to get one I would like it somewhat heavily modded. So what improvements did the later years get comparedto the 08?What gears did the 08's have?

The SYNC is nice, if you are looking for a more luxurious rig. King Ranch, Harley Davidson, etc. lets you tie your ipod into the stereo. and the NAV system is more advanced. if you arent looking for that, then like everyone else said, get a late model 08, save some coin, and have a blast! What other models did they have besides the King Ranch and the Harley?

the guys with 08 job ones can comment more accurately on this. But, the TCM is FUBAR on the job ones. As are the seals on the fuel pump. This was the 1st year of the 6.4, and I have learned over the years, the first run, is still a rough draft.... But, if you are going to do turbos, injectors, pumps, trans, etc, then this shouldnt be an issue when shopping for your rig.

as far as the "pimp" models" go... there are the Cabellas model, the Harley Davidson model, the King Ranch, or, you can get a plain jane Lariat, with the Lariat Ultimate Package, and have nearly everything that the high end models have...

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I was referring to the messed up quotes on the previous page. No misinformation. It's all jumbled together.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.