Big vgt or non vgt?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Non vgt's don't spool as bad as most people think/say. I love my 366 and 230/100's spool is fine and it is my daily driver as well. It's just driving habits and tuning. You can't just mat it to the floor like you can a VGT, once I get about 6-7lbs and roll into it it's gone. I won't go back to a VGT.

When I had a 366 and a 2700 stall converter it spooled SO fast LOL

swinky

Reaction score
Non vgt's don't spool as bad as most people think/say. I love my 366 and 230/100's spool is fine and it is my daily driver as well. It's just driving habits and tuning. You can't just mat it to the floor like you can a VGT, once I get about 6-7lbs and roll into it it's gone. I won't go back to a VGT.
Ditto. I have 190s and a precision 2100 stall though. I have a billet wheel but I hate it. 11 blade doesn't flow up top.

04 f350

Reaction score

What kinda hp numbers do you think your at? I thought about just doin the s366 with a billet wheel, that wouldn't be a crazy build and it shouldn't break the bank either for me.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Mine with 225's and a 472 based on E.T. and trap speed was making about 630. It only ever did like 580 on the dyno with that setup though.

ford rules

Reaction score
What kinda hp numbers do you think your at? I thought about just doin the s366 with a billet wheel, that wouldn't be a crazy build and it shouldn't break the bank either for me.

Not to sure really, I was planning on taking it to the track but the stock trans isn't gonna like that lol I'd say around 550 is what I'd like to see. Not being able to hold full icp is gonna be the limiting factor.

04 f350

Reaction score
Not to sure really, I was planning on taking it to the track but the stock trans isn't gonna like that lol I'd say around 550 is what I'd like to see. Not being able to hold full icp is gonna be the limiting factor.

I was thinking close to 600, but yea holding icp is the key...my wot runs with the stock pump holds around 4.5ish so the stock one seems to be holding up so far, now this is another question I have...what all has gotta be changed to switch to the non vgt? Will the S&B intake boot work ok? New pedestal? I would assume it would come with oil feed lines and what not, stock down pipe work fine? I know replacing the up pipes will be in the works to...

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Pop a set of 6.4 turbo's on there, spool up is non existent and they pull all the way up the RPM range. Lots of fun on the street.

Strokin89

Reaction score
Did the 6.4 turbos quiet your truck any?

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

04 f350

Reaction score
Pop a set of 6.4 turbo's on there, spool up is non existent and they pull all the way up the RPM range. Lots of fun on the street.

If I ever run across a junked 6.4 ill keep that in mind lol.... I've thought about compounds also but I just can't bring myself to spend that kinda money

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
If I ever run across a junked 6.4 ill keep that in mind lol.... I've thought about compounds also but I just can't bring myself to spend that kinda money
Using 6.4 stock turbo's is not as expensive as you would think, I'll bet comparable to what you're looking at spending for a single non vgt turbo.

04 f350

Reaction score
Using 6.4 stock turbo's is not as expensive as you would think, I'll bet comparable to what you're looking at spending for a single non vgt turbo.

I do remember looking at your thread when you were going thru all that work, seemed like alot to pull off, what did you end up having to remove from the truck to get them to fit in there?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Absolute must for any compound setup is dual alternator setup to remove the upper alternator, then the only other thing which really was a convenience change was the oil filter/cooler relocation. All else was mostly parts swaps and modification, except for the IC pipes. IC pipes are all custom. That's a quick generalization anyway...

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I was thinking close to 600, but yea holding icp is the key...my wot runs with the stock pump holds around 4.5ish so the stock one seems to be holding up so far, now this is another question I have...what all has gotta be changed to switch to the non vgt? Will the S&B intake boot work ok? New pedestal? I would assume it would come with oil feed lines and what not, stock down pipe work fine? I know replacing the up pipes will be in the works to...

Intake boot will be different. So will hotside IC pipe boot off of turbo. All depends what turbo you do. s300 and s400 have some differences... As far as pedestal if you go with an MPD setup it will be all new T4 uppipes and oil feed and drain lines. No pedestal so to say.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Yes I understand if you put he compounds in the valley the alternator will hafta get removed. By you saying that its an "absolute must" to relocate/remove the alternator for compounds isn't so. You made it seem like all compound setups would need to do this which isn't the case.

strokin6L

Reaction score
IMO....putting compounds in the valley looks like a big 'ol cluster ***! A few guys have made valley compounds look clean...but I'd never put them in valley...that's just me.

Latest posts

Members online