Blew hg/ help me build a 700 hp dd

78f100

Reaction score
I picked up my heads today, the guy had to take 8th. I have read this is the max you can take. He did a valve job so it should have recessed the valves some also. Does that sound like it should work ok?
Also i can see the machiine marks on the deck but cant feel them, i was told they need a mirror finish but have never seen a machine shop that could do that around here anyway.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Im not sure Id do the cups but I would do hardened valve seats as they are prone to cracking.

What would be a reasonable cost for this? Do you think any old machine shop could do that or does it take someone who specializes in performance?

78f100

Reaction score
The machine shop i went to said its normally 12.50 per seat to install 32 x 12.50 = 400
for installing them.

I asked the guy where i took mine and he said no need to they were already hardened enough from the factory. But when i asked him to do it anyway he started rambling on with all the reasons why he didnt want too, it takes too long apperently to grind the hardened seats for him to do it. He said some shops can put the hardned seats in fairly easy with some machine, i cant remember the name of it. I may take mine somewhere else idk yet, i think he did a good job on what he did but i was under the impression he was gonna do alot more.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
If he didn't put in the hardened seats I would go some where that can handle it. Not good if you ask them to do a service and then start moaning about doing it.They are hardened from the factory but not enough for what we put them through.

78f100

Reaction score
If he didn't put in the hardened seats I would go some where that can handle it. Not good if you ask them to do a service and then start moaning about doing it.They are hardened from the factory but not enough for what we put them through.

He lead me to believe he was when I dropped them off, he also said he would polish everything he could to make them flow better. When I picked them up he said there wasn't much he could have done to them to make them flow better.

I am gonna call another place in the morning, no one around here wants to mess with a diesel head. Your right though I wont ever take anything back to them, and I have a 6.0 to do as soon as I finish my truck so I hope I can find a good machine shop.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
The machine shop i went to said its normally 12.50 per seat to install 32 x 12.50 = 400
for installing them.

I asked the guy where i took mine and he said no need to they were already hardened enough from the factory. But when i asked him to do it anyway he started rambling on with all the reasons why he didnt want too, it takes too long apperently to grind the hardened seats for him to do it. He said some shops can put the hardned seats in fairly easy with some machine, i cant remember the name of it. I may take mine somewhere else idk yet, i think he did a good job on what he did but i was under the impression he was gonna do alot more.

I have checked around a few places and that seems like a good price if it is done right...better than anywhere I found so far.

I have heard of people having problems with their hardened seats cracking. Anyone have an opinion as to who to go with??

78f100

Reaction score
I called a few places today and they all said if my heads already had 8th taken off of them there is nothing they could or would do to them. No one wants to just do the seats and not the rest of the machining, or are scared of the diesel heads. Doing anything performance wise on a diesel around here is like rocket science. I guess I will just run them and see how it goes, If / when the cab comes off again, and I'm sure it will (being I have a lift now) I will have to get new heads. Lesson learned.

I plan on putting them back on tomorrow, bought a brand new tq wrench form the mac man yesterday, itching to use it...lol

78f100

Reaction score
I was installing the rockers and noticed 2 of the tips were wore down and the keeper was hitting the bridge. Anyone got the part# for them? I posted it in the tech forum also, thanks.

White_monster

Reaction score
Like said in the other thread. Can't replace just the tip have to replace the rocker arm. Make sure you know if it's intake or exhaust that you need. Also post a pic of the worn piece.

78f100

Reaction score
here is the worst one

62575785-orig.jpg

66FBEB6F-orig.jpg

I had heard a tick from this side of the motor and assume this is where it was coming from.

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
Yup. Is that exhaust or intake rocker? You'll need a new bridge for the top of the valves. I'd send you some parts but it would take some time. I'll get you the part numbers tonight, I got extra stuff in bags.

78f100

Reaction score
Yup. Is that exhaust or intake rocker? You'll need a new bridge for the top of the valves. I'd send you some parts but it would take some time. I'll get you the part numbers tonight, I got extra stuff in bags.

Thanks man, I will get with you about that injector you wanted as soon as I determine how many I have left, just incase I break another one...lol

White_monster

Reaction score
I ordered the complete asembly for both sides 209$ each, be here in the morning.

Should've ordered just the arms, about half the price but at least the new assembly is good to go.

Thanks man, I will get with you about that injector you wanted as soon as I determine how many I have left, just incase I break another one...lol

Thanks bud. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

78f100

Reaction score
Should've ordered just the arms, about half the price but at least the new assembly is good to go.

I priced them from ford
33$ each rocker
62$ for each complete intake and exhaust assembly
209$ for complete side with pedestal ( all 4 assemblies)

I was installing the new plastic clips on the old ones when I found the bad tips.

Latest posts

Members online