blowing grey smoke, turbo starting to fail?

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
2011 f350 fully deleted sct x4 with no limit tunes, extreme idling conditions
so the other day i posted about me driving home while passing a car my truck stalled and low oil pressure light came on, turned it off checked the oil oil was fine cranked up and ran just fine after that.
well a few days ago when i cranked up my truck it sounds as if it has a lot of turbo whine, sound goes up and down with what the turbo is going, once it warms up this sound goes away and i dont hear it any more during the day, every morning it does this.
yesterday after my truck has been idling since 4am im getting ready to get off my shift i look back and i see a white haze coming out of my exhaust. i give it a little throttle blip and more come out, i go out and check the exhaust no moisture or anything that smells like diesel, after this the haze goes away. so while in park i hammer on the throttle, starts black and then all of a sudden goes whitish grey, do it again same thing. so once i start heading to my camper i punch on it again, again goes from black to a grey/white color. i check my antifreeze it was sort of low i put in one bottle of water to bring it to the cold coolant level.
well i had to go to town last night so when i did. i figured i would take a few videos of what it was doing, first video is of me getting on the road and punching it, second video is of me rolling 60mph and punching it.
am i just bring paranoid? do i have a potential blown head gasket? turbo about to fail on me?

th_D80199B1-5FEB-4D00-ABCA-0B6613A4F53B.jpg

th_D7466C96-0E1D-4EC9-8144-07A7ECB4492F.jpg

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Don't know too much on what it might be but I do have my 2012 turbo with 36k on it I just removed to do compounds if you need one.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
thats def not normal. Are you using any oil?

it looks to me like its starting to burn oil. Have you pulled the fill cap while idling for the engine oil to make sure there isnt too much pressure in the crankcase?

i would say based on your symptoms you might have a turbo going out.

have you checked to see if the oil level is overfull? The low oil pressure shut down has me a little concerned as well.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
When I blew my turbo on my 6.7 all it did was make noise and had no power at all WOT was 40 MPH on Spartan 200. no smoke though

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
i think the low oil pressure light came on since the key was still on while i was pulling over on the side of the road the truck stalled then the low oil pressure light came on, i would think it would come on then stall out. oil level is fine ill check for blow by when it get a little more daylight out

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Very worthwhile swap, especially compared to replacing with another stocker. Wakes the truck up a good bit. Not an all out high hp upgrade but for the money, it's hard to beat the 70hp + added.

Keith

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
So I was checking stuff out and my absolute performance cai kit came in and I was gonna throw it in well opened the air box and found this, this was replaced less than 5k miles agao, I replace my filter every oil change. Guess it's been a lot more dusty out here

2bc3100e0a1f4626230d98f679f8c4e5.jpg
55c37b21c1ffdda2162522597bd717f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
Installed my load first tune on my truck, and these are the codes that popped up and immediately shut my truck off, I'm now putting the street tune back on and seeing if will run with it on it.

65cabdf849ae919c83736f50f3e78e5b.jpg

*KCCO*

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
Ok so installed street back on the truck cranks up and runs, maybe my files are starting to corrupt on the x4? Not sure what's with it may just say screw it and go buy a mini maxx

*KCCO*

Last edited:

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
Well that looks to have solved my issue, undid programmer all the way to factory stock then uploaded the load first tune didn't try to crank it then went straight to my street tune no more grey/white smoke

https://vimeo.com/115065681

*KCCO*

Latest posts

Members online