Blown oil seal on turbo

sniper_101

Reaction score
Little bit confused here. It's a stock turbo I rebuilt a couple years ago, unplugged WG, DieselSite WW, removed EBPV system. The other morning the oil seal on the turbine side gave, luckily I didn't notice until after my short drive to work.

The truck was plugged in all night, granted it was extremely cold, but oil temp on the scangauge was 32* on start up (Shaeffers 7000 15-40). So that's far from the coldest it's been started at.

So thoughts on the cause? Fluke seal failure, oil pressure spike, etc? I haven't had time to check the bearings, but the truck was driving fine, with no odd turbo noises so I assume there is no bearing issues.

sniper_101

Reaction score
That might be the cause, my routing is far from perfect, and I have noticed oil seep issues after cold temp starts before from various places. No idea why I hadn't thought of the CCV hose.

Good call CTC!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I actually shortened mine up alot, but I have to admit, I have no idea how ice can firm and block a 3/4 in hose. Especially when the inside of the hose had a very slimy coating

sniper_101

Reaction score
I actually shortened mine up alot, but I have to admit, I have no idea how ice can firm and block a 3/4 in hose. Especially when the inside of the hose had a very slimy coating

Mine runs down the frame to the front hanger of the rear driver side leaf, so it's not short by any means, and probably has some low spots in it *stupid move*. I think condensation build up from outside temp/humidity, or the engine purging any moisture in the oil/crankcase could lead to water build up in the hose.

how can the ccv be the issue? (Serious question)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Plugged CCV will build crankcase pressure, and pressurize the oil drain. Hence excessive oil pressure to blow out a seal/o-ring. Likely what my cause is, but I'll have to inspect the CCV hose first to be sure.

Jomax

Reaction score
Hmm I'll have to check mine. Turbo seal is starting to leak, but it does have 280k on the original turbo. Also just rerouted the CCV to a filter then back to the intake, didn't make any kinks or anything.. probably just coinsidence, had that happen to me alot recently.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Oh I looked and mine did have beads of moisture in the hose, but like I said, the inside was coated in a very slimy oily mix. Don't Know how ice can stick in there

mandkole

Reaction score
All big truck draft tubes run straight down along the block down by the oil pan and have a slash cut at the bottom that points to the rear of the vehicle. We actually had a warranty claim for a draft tube we supplied on a school bus in upstate NY a number of years ago where the slash was orientated wrong and the tube 'scooped' snow/slush/ice causing the tube to plug. There was a 'snow cone' of ice on the bottom of this tube. It blew the dipstick out, put oil everywhere and ran the motor low on oil. No blown turbo seal.

CCV will cause case pressurization, but the turbo oil supply is on the pressurized side of LPOP.

Jomax

Reaction score
Mandkole, had my ccv return line kink. Made oil seep between the exhaust housing on the turbo and the truck started smoking white. Found the kink and the smoke stopped. Think I hurt the turbo?

mandkole

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like its hurt. My experience with plugged draft tubes is limited to the feedback on that issue with the small cummins. It blew enough oil to hurt it (or so we were told).

Jomax

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like its hurt. My experience with plugged draft tubes is limited to the feedback on that issue with the small cummins. It blew enough oil to hurt it (or so we were told).
Running like nothing happened. Just need it to get me by for another 2 weeks. Then the 38r goes in.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hmm I'll have to check mine. Turbo seal is starting to leak, but it does have 280k on the original turbo. Also just rerouted the CCV to a filter then back to the intake, didn't make any kinks or anything.. probably just coinsidence, had that happen to me alot recently.

i tried the catch can and ditched it .
Mandkole, had my ccv return line kink. Made oil seep between the exhaust housing on the turbo and the truck started smoking white. Found the kink and the smoke stopped. Think I hurt the turbo?

turbo will be fine.
Running like nothing happened. Just need it to get me by for another 2 weeks. Then the 38r goes in.

if you haven't ran a 38r before, you will love it.. bit noisy when hooked to something though!

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
i tried the catch can and ditched it .

turbo will be fine.

if you haven't ran a 38r before, you will love it.. bit noisy when hooked to something though!

live life full throttle

Why ditch the catch can? I heard the 38r is loud lol. But can't beat the low end response.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Why ditch the catch can? I heard the 38r is loud lol. But can't beat the low end response.

started blowing white smoke at idle.. i then hooked the stock ccv back up.. id rather have a vacuum on the ccv then let it build pressure and possibly blow the seals out of chit..

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
started blowing white smoke at idle.. i then hooked the stock ccv back up.. id rather have a vacuum on the ccv then let it build pressure and possibly blow the seals out of chit..

live life full throttle

That's weird. Happened to me only when I had a kink.. you were sure there were no kinks?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's weird. Happened to me only when I had a kink.. you were sure there were no kinks?

quite positive.. it went out the doghouse and down to catch can then back up... got rid of the catch can and vented to atmo and did the same thing. so i out it back to stock.. my brother wanted his routed to atmo (i advised against it) and i did it for him droping it strait down to the ground.. 6weeks later popped the turbo.. got a used turbo from airfish and a billet wheel from barder and put the ccv back to the intake.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online