Bottom end time

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Well, the ol 6Leaker took a poo this weekend. Lost #6. So looking at doing a mild build with the motor now. Looking for some input from you high hp guys as this will be getting a a lot more fuel and air this coming winter.

Whose Rods would be the best route? I know the prices are all the same basically,+/- $200. Hyper max? R&R? Carrillo?

What about Pistons? Ceramic coated? Fly cut or nah?

Cam? Stage 2? Stage 3 needs valve relief, is it worth it vs a stage 2? Colt or RCDs high rev?

Anything else I should look into doing?

Extended Power

Reaction score
De-lip your pistons, and have them ceramic coated.
If you run a Straub Tech cam, no need for valve reliefs.
I run Cunningham rods, but I'm sure they are all pretty close to the same quality.
Run Beehive springs no matter what cam you go with to keep from floating the valves from the extra boost. (Stock spring pressure is about 65-75psi on the seat.)

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Thanks for the info extended power. I looked into that straub tech, looks like a great option. I'm on a bit of a budget, but I'm gonna make the most of what I can do. My biggest thing is rods and Pistons. A cam will be worked in if possible. I'm going to ditch the 66 and throw a 369 on with spray for now. But I plan on doing compounds soon so I want to do everything I can to keep the bottom end together now while it's out. I daily the truck right now, soI reliability (as much as possible) is important.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Thanks for the info extended power. I looked into that straub tech, looks like a great option. I'm on a bit of a budget, but I'm gonna make the most of what I can do. My biggest thing is rods and Pistons. A cam will be worked in if possible. I'm going to ditch the 66 and throw a 369 on with spray for now. But I plan on doing compounds soon so I want to do everything I can to keep the bottom end together now while it's out. I daily the truck right now, soI reliability (as much as possible) is important.

i would do a cam now so you dont have to pull it apart, have not run a straub. we run rcd cams, even a stage 1 would be a nice addition. r&r rods is what we use as well, they were bought out by wagler a few months ago.

lifters & push rods are a must if you have it apart.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
suggestions:

-pistons:fly cut and valve relief pistons (same as mentioned above, we run Mahle pistons)
-Cams: River City or Elite are the cams that we put into most builds that we do
-Rods: We have experience with R&R as well as Carrillo. Carrillos require a little clearance to be done on the bottom of the cylinder skirts, R&R require some clearance to be done on the rod itself. both are great products, we have great results with both
-Heads: oringed with heavy duty valve springs and pushrods
-625 studs for added insurance.

let me know if we can help you with any parts or questions you may have.

Reaction score
Let me know if you are interested in our cams I can give ya some help on cam and lifters. I can also discus more on your engine options and put together a package for ya with bearings and gaskets.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
suggestions:

-pistons:fly cut and valve relief pistons (same as mentioned above, we run Mahle pistons)
-Cams: River City or Elite are the cams that we put into most builds that we do
-Rods: We have experience with R&R as well as Carrillo. Carrillos require a little clearance to be done on the bottom of the cylinder skirts, R&R require some clearance to be done on the rod itself. both are great products, we have great results with both
-Heads: oringed with heavy duty valve springs and pushrods
-625 studs for added insurance.

let me know if we can help you with any parts or questions you may have.

^^^ He covered most everything...

I would add is that it is good insurance to get the block decked to make sure it is dead flat and perfectly clean. You might have to mill the top of the pistons to compensate if you have too much piston protrusion. If you dont want to assemble the motor to check then just take "at least" the same amount off the top of the piston that you do the block.

IMO upgraded lifters are cheap insurance in a motor with that much money in it.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! I will be getting the block decked and will see how the Pistons fit. I think I'm just going to do the straub tech cam that way I don't need reliefs, def doing some lifters. Anyone deal with Manton? Or what is a good option for an upgraded lifter?

I just had heads decked 50k ago, I shouldn't have to get them re decked right? im going to have a shop o ring the heads for me, they've lasted so far without, but with some big power coming at it soon I'd like the insurance. 125* springs and 3/8 pushrods are going in it.

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! I will be getting the block decked and will see how the Pistons fit. I think I'm just going to do the straub tech cam that way I don't need reliefs, def doing some lifters. Anyone deal with Manton? Or what is a good option for an upgraded lifter?

I just had heads decked 50k ago, I shouldn't have to get them re decked right? im going to have a shop o ring the heads for me, they've lasted so far without, but with some big power coming at it soon I'd like the insurance. 125* springs and 3/8 pushrods are going in it.

sideactiondiesel has upgraded lifters.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score

manton makes great stuff, and they also have the same super secret style clip that side action does for half the price on the lifters.

Reaction score
manton makes great stuff, and they also have the same super secret style clip that side action does for half the price on the lifters.

This is new to me... I have carried both style lifters for a long time now and I have never seen our HD clip on Manton lifters.

But we have both in stock as well if customer decides he doesn't want the added insurance of the HD clip retainer .

Do you happen to have 0.040" over, de-lipped, ceramic coated piston sets in stock?

They only make a .030 overbore. The block can be sleeved if need be on one or 2... but gets expensive

Last edited:

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Well took the heads off today, 4 & 6 had valve contact, couple bent pushrods. Thankfully cylinder walls look good. Carrillos are ordered. Already have some Manton lifters and pushrods, S369sxe, aluminum rad, intercooler, 50mm JGS gate. Ordering valve springs and cam this weekend, along with Pistons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Members online