BTS Trans autopsy..

mattman347

Reaction score
My BTS has bean beat to death several times... I have broke a few hard parts in it but it was built back in 08. Since then I did take it apart and there are a few things in it that impressed me one of which being the roller bearings used in place of the bushings. Mine has the billet parts in it now too but uses stock clutches. Overall I have been happy with the trans and the abuse it has taken.

mandkole

Reaction score
Im glad I didn't break anything but need to clamp the clutches better. Killing them in 60K seems like improvement is possible.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
******** is a great trans tuner... But I'll message ya another option...

Gear head is edited out?

D elte is edited out?

WTF?

Reaction score
I'd be happy to get one to live at 350hp...LOL

Once Dustin sees this he'll understand.....:poke:

Auto transmissions, they work great, until they don't. The time frame in between those 2 is a huge variable...sometimes it's 10k miles, sometimes it's 70..

How many times will local builders rebuild until they say that's enough? Within a small time frame.

Buddy it's a wonder anything survives where you live. Since all your roads are straight up and down you would be better off getting a helicopter. Lol

mandkole

Reaction score
Freshened trans and new 6.0 billet 3 disk are back in. Updated most of the direct frictions/plates and added boost valve.

Noticeable difference was putting it in gear -- much reduced load from no TC clutch drifting. The VB was slightly adjusted to firm up the shifts and temps are back down to 145F after being in 85F city and local interstate traffic. Its never worked better.

mandkole

Reaction score
Dang your killing me..... you got me worried....LOL

haha...

How much mileage is on your trans? Although I have plenty of power to hurt stuff, most of the damage came from poor management of the hydraulics. There are a number of issues that prevent the converter from doing its job right. In my case, one of the issues was the converter itself-- it was wasn't real good.

I didn't realize that PI sourced ATS converters... it was set up poorly, had dodge guts, ATS design with a Ford case.

The jury is still out, but right now the trans works great. I'll be pulling the car trailer to Boise for the bracket finals in a couple weeks and that will be a workout.

Layson

Reaction score
I am glad that you did that. It just confirmed what I thought I already knew...LOL

If I have to pull this thing out again I am either coming to you! LOL.... or it will be a different trans...LOL

Layson

Reaction score
Well Mike a friend of ours has to pull his torque converter again....it is pumping fluid everywhere...

Reaction score
Ok, you've all been hearing about the issues Ive had with the converter drifting issues and eventual slipping and inability to lock. This is a BTS that has was built in 2006 and has about 60K miles on it. Like me, the PO had driven it pretty mellow but made a few laps on the track, some 500hp dyno pulls and towed a little with it.

The trans is at my local racer buddy's shop, Canby Trans, and they've been down the road and back with 4R100s. They're very familiar with the tricks and can make them live for higher power and heavy tow applications. I have local support and they will pull it back out if its not right.

Disclaimer; Im not a trans expert. If I say something below that doesn't make sense, its likely due to my misunderstanding.

Converter
-The PI converter was identified as a '2.5 disk' clutch with a Dodge RE stator.
-They aren't sure why it didn't use the stronger (in their opinion) Ford stator
-Clutches have noted wear and one clutch disk was down to almost metal
-The converter was in very good condition otherwise and will be rebuilt with same parts. Recommended to put it back in.

Trans
-Pump looked pretty decent, nothing worn, warped or broken
-Pump had a Tugger kit
-the pump springs were observed very light, concern over ability to support adequate line pressure (my interpretation from the conversation), they plan to compare to a stock pump since some of the parts selections were unusual. May explain some of the TCC drifting issues.

-Billet parts: none, late model machined steel planets (those are often referred to as 'factory billet' planets)
- OD clutch pack had extra plate
- Reverse pack had extra plate
- 3rd clutch pack, standard configuration -- condition: burnt
- 2nd clutch pack, had extra plate? -- condition: very glazed
- 1st clutch pack, typical mods, condition; good
- Uses a 2 shim spacer in the 2-4 clutch support (not typical)
- All of the hardparts were in very good condition

- Plan: clean , replace the clutch packs, center bearing

Overall, there is nothing real special here with this BTS trans. It has much of the typical strength mods to be expected for a good running, heavier towing capacity trans.

Moving forward, the concern is that the line pressure has been on the low side and may be an issue with clutch apply not keeping up with more aggressive power or towing levels. It was never an aggressive shifter (but not limp either that I recall). We are going to put the line gauges back on it again after its finished and its making me think closely about having trans tuning re-looked at.

Who does real good trans tunes? May need to look at some collaboration.

My goal is not to bash the BTS, but it has only lasted 60K miles so its not performed up to my expectations as being a bulletproof trans. For the $4200 the PO put into it, its disappointing that Im putting money in it now also.

If any trans guys want to chime in, that's great, as I wanted to have a good discussion here about these transmissions.

This is what eats me to pieces at night, a $600 converter, $300 rebuild kit, $90 rebuild kit and a few extras.... Planets can be bought through Ford wholesale dealers cheap (Ie Midd Tenn Ford) and they are cast steel. NOT billet... The cryoing process costs pennies per part if you do a dozen or so.. A trans shop with a lathe coulda done the whole R&R for $3500 and still made decent cash...

TyCorr

Reaction score
With tuning getting better and better, more power per revision on small setups, its putting actual power through them and they are shtting the bed.

I got lucky. I asked a few questions the phone lady couldnt answer. I had money in hand to order. Expected to get Brian on the phone. He couldnt answer the questions and I wasnt comfortable horking over 5500 dollars to someone who cant answer a few questions. Those questions turned out to be ones that were pertinent to many of them failing. My buddy urged me to keep calling them. I did for two months and i finally said "if this guy wont get on the damn phone for two minutes im not gonna "just send you the money and get on the list". I made due with a shiftkit and roadrunner converter with 175/80s. Ordered some 250/200s three years ago. Tried jw and wanted to ask the same questions. Another no callback. I did my studs, springs,pushrods. Ordered a stg2 from twisted. My buddy got the 175/80s and he ordered a bts. His trans lasted four months maybe. His truck was used for work mostly. He went two months with out it and then I had a freak out moment and was going to part my truck out. He boughtthe twisted and the studs.

He got his bts back and sold it off. His converter was a nothing special dual disk dacco with purple paint on it. It had a precision sticker or some damn thing on it. Nothing great.

I know some guys love them. I got a weird feeling and went a different route.

mandkole

Reaction score
Elrod, you are absolutely correct and keep spreading the word. These are not rocket science and its like any other assembly built with common sense and knowledge. You do not have to slather zoomy parts all over them to make them work for most applications. My trans guy and I, (being drag bike racers that put 300+hp to the ground,) we talk clutches all the time so we discussed the frictions, TCC and assy in detail.

The $2K refresh (including r&r labor) is great-- Its never worked better.

The recent comments above were with a buddy we are trying to convert whos got another failed converter conversation going with a specific shop in Tennessee again.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Interesting...

I lost the OD planetary a few weeks ago. Didnt go any deeper then the OD clutches which after 80+K looked ok (replaced anyway) I am pretty happy with my trans builders build.

Reaction score
The worst part is I hate even making an attempt to slander the guys at BTS, but this is why FORDS just don't improve like they should... There are so many good vendors on here, Midwest, Marty's, Full Force, P.I.S., Swamps, ********, Maryland Performance, and many others.... They all answer the phones 90% of the time and STAND behind their products!! For a guy to sell a trans for 4500 bucks that will only realistically hold 350hp that you expect to hold 500 and then you break it, and he won't answer the phone to help his customer base!! You can go on Comp D and there's entire 48RE and 47RE rebuild threads so their customers know what they are getting for their money!! I mean Morgan put an entire build thread on how to build a true 6.4 2.6 pull truck! That is exactly what the Ford community needs in my honest opinion... I'm thinking about posting my trans build once all my parts come in.

scagle1

Reaction score
Mine never felt like it was putting the power down after I installed the BTS like it did before and I never could bring myself to pull the trigger on a 10 hour drive to go see him and find out for sure. They were always quick to answer, or return calls when I had questions though and it always did its job. Looking back, I wish I'd have just done a ZF6 swap and kept the truck. Would have worked nicely for my area and driving.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I'm running BTS and so far so good. And I called them before I ordered one and Brian was very helpful and answered a couple questions I had. That sealed the deal for me and I have probably 30k on it now and hasn't missed a lick

Latest posts

Members online