Built Auto or Manual

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
having had both multiple times in my dodges and seeing how nice the Ford auto is vs. the Dodge, I say built auto every time.

ever daily drive a truck w/ a big dual disk?

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Manual. But that's just me.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

:whs:

^^In traffic?

having had both multiple times in my dodges and seeing how nice the Ford auto is vs. the Dodge, I say built auto every time.

ever daily drive a truck w/ a big dual disk?

Yes to both. The newer clutches are alot better then the old ones. I daily drive mine every day with no issues.

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Definitely cheaper to swap a manual in from the basic looks of it....blcksmk can you post a pic of your interior for me? I know I'm probably going to have to change some interior parts to do the swap but thats okay

CAT35niner

Reaction score
This is a old pic but it kinda shows some of the interior. I will have to get a full pic sometime tomorrow. I figure i would post something up for u quick until i get another one. Idk how much u will have to change around. I have a lariat console in mine but i needed a midwest trans short throw shifter to clear it, it used to have the flip down seat in it.
IMG_20100822_152941.jpg

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
My truck is a lariat so I have the same console. Only would suck cause I wouldnt be able to use the flip down, cupholders underneath the upfitter switches but I would live...a full pick would be great too thanks man

Edit: did you swap a manual in or buy it that way

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Not at the moment but I'm not too easy on transmissions lol. Been there done that with paying 4 or 5k for a built auto...prefer to replace a clutch if necessary...no plans on doing it until the auto is done tho...trucks got 108k on it at the moment

CAT35niner

Reaction score
My truck is a lariat so I have the same console. Only would suck cause I wouldnt be able to use the flip down, cupholders underneath the upfitter switches but I would live...a full pick would be great too thanks man

Edit: did you swap a manual in or buy it that way

Yea ur fine then. All u would need is the short throw shifter kit to clear ur console. Mine used to hit in 2nd gear and thats it but it was enuff to make me buy the kit. My truck came with a 6spd in it. I will try to get a full pick tomorrow if it stops raining.

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Nice...thanks for the pics jumpy! Anyone know anyone who has done the swap and how tuning would work? Also any input on what Id need for a built manual? Like anything other than a good clutch...

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Nice...thanks for the pics jumpy! Anyone know anyone who has done the swap and how tuning would work? Also any input on what Id need for a built manual? Like anything other than a good clutch...

Good pics. Maybe i dont need to get mine. As for parts for a strong manual just a clutch, Short throw shifter to keep the pattern tight so u can speed shift and get a filter kit for the trans to keep the fluid clean.

6.4Ltony

Reaction score
Manual every time. Easier to work on, better to tow with. Pisses me off Ford canned them.

Not to high jack but what is being run for a transmission filter set up for the ZF6 (feel free to PM me anyone with ideas). Thanks.

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Thanks man. I'm going to try and keep this updated. if I had a second vehicle id swap in a heartbeat but for now it will have to wait as I don't think it is a weekend deal. Really wish I could find someone who has done the swap on a 6.4

tensixniner

Reaction score
Other than a Southbend clutch and short throw shifter I'm not aware of any other upgrade parts for the zf6. I asked Dan at Midwest Trans a few months ago if there were any beefier internal parts and he said no.

There is a thread on here with pics of a modified clutch release lever from Southbend.

I don't think you need to run a filter on the Trans. If you find that the fluid is dirty you've probably got an issue that needs attention.

Friend of mine is a Ford diesel tech, I asked him what it would take to switch to an auto. Basically everything is different. Trans, PCM, tcm, harnesses, gauge cluster... Etc. Programming would be some work too, all the modules need to match.
It can be done but it's definitely not plug n play.
IMO not worth it to switch unless you can find a deal on a donor truck and have somewhere to do the work yourself.

Latest posts

Members online