Built trans wont shift past 2nd.

6fodays

Reaction score
Posting for a friend. Has a built trans, probably 2k miles on it, it wont shift past 2nd. Even if he puts it in 3rd on the shifter it wont go in. Im thinking solenoid. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
who built the trans? What codes are coming up? What tuning?

6fodays

Reaction score
No codes. Local guy built it with a build kit.m from suncoast i believe. But hes had a solenoid issue where it wont go into reverse or drive for 10 seconds. And running inno vative tuning. But truck has ran fine until today.

Dieselmore

Reaction score
It's hard to say. Are you able to get any codes out of it. It could be a solinoid. If you could check for codes and post the results that would be super helpful.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Usually a delay going into reverse and issues with direct drive are the first signs a trans is going bad....

I'm shocked it's not throwing a code at all.

Next step is to check line pressure I'd think.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
No 2nd even in Manual 2? What about Manual 3? and Reverse?

2nd gear brings on the Overdrive clutch. You could have a speed sensor issue but first need to know my above questions.

6fodays

Reaction score
Okay, he had the delay going into reverse and drive, so i told him to replace that solenoid. But within the week i told him it stopped. Goes in drive and reverse flawlessly. It will shift to 2nd but no more, even in manual 3rd it wont go into gear. Still no codes but i havent got to look at it. Or hook my computer to it....It just happened last night

sootie

Reaction score
burnt direct clutches i would bet...with the reverse delay.

sootie

Reaction score
That soon into a full build?

the thing is, FOrd solenoids do not typically fail. Yes they are finicky, but usually when they have issues is when they are introduced to foreign material. Material only gets in the fluid from slipping clutches.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and just ask- but have you checked the fluid level (up to operating temp while running )? I know with my warren trans it shifted weird not long after I installed it and it was 2 qts low after running it. Maybe obvious but it can't hurt to check....

Members online

No members online now.