Bulletproof, now cyc 1 dead miss

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Are you positive the solenoid wasn't damaged on the injector when torquing? I've saw that done when someone tries to use a standard length torx bit and accidentally puts pressure on the solenoids.

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
Some people overthink things sometimes it seems, to much milled off the heads and shorter push rods needed....be realistic LOL

Buzz test/power balance, check make sure rocker arm didn't crack or isn't broken, if not swap injector and call it a day. Pulling valve covers isn't that big of a deal obviously.

But if it left with a miss why did it leave at all in the first place...... Or did I miss something and it develope this later on.... Sometimes pulling injectors etc and putting them back in odd things could happen, if they weren't put directly into a injector trey could of gotten a little debri etc who knows.

Really? Over thinking it? I've seen it happen douche. And comments like yours are the reason this forum is turning into compd. was just giving the guy another place to look... Carry on 6.0 Heavenly Father

6speedsd

Reaction score
Are you positive the solenoid wasn't damaged on the injector when torquing? I've saw that done when someone tries to use a standard length torx bit and accidentally puts pressure on the solenoids.

They removed the injectors before I got there, and I know for a fact they used a short bit (even though I told them to get a long one) so it's a possibility. I used my long bit when installing them back in the truck. So it wasn't damaged on install, but possibly was on tear down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Derkperk

Reaction score
I know you said you rotated everything by hand but is it possible you have a bent push rod?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Weren't bent when they got put back in. I'm not saying I'm 100% certain there is not, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't.

Putting AE on it Thursday, so I'll know then if it's injector, or we need to dig deeper.

jake74

Reaction score
When the engine is spinning to crank does it spin smooth at a constant rpm or does it get a fast spot in it while spinning. That's a real easy way to find a dead hole with out a compression tester.

6speedsd

Reaction score
During priming the system, and actually cranking it a couple times after everything was back together, it spun smooth. AE goes on it tomorrow to verify/rule out injector issue. I'm almost betting they busted a solenoid when they pulled injectors with that little stubby torx bit.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, solenoids are good. Passes buzz test no problem. Fired it up and ran power balance...cyl 1 stayed on the high side meaning over fueling, which is obvious from the smoke and heavy fuel smell. Didn't have time to pull valve cover this afternoon. Going to do that tomorrow and check rockers and see if valves are closing. If yes, then might swap injectors 1 and 3 and see if the miss/code follows it. I still think it's an injector issue... It's not so much a dead miss now. With the hood down, standing in front of the truck, you have to concentrate to tell its missing at all. Pop the hood and you can visually see the engine moving, and hear it out the exhaust for sure, along with the smoke.

Come to find out he's been driving the piss out of it all week too. Said to me "shouldnt that miss clear up at high rpms?" Then asked if he could load his tune back on it. Why is it so hard to just listen?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My best guess here is mistorqued injector, ie hold down in incorrect spot when torquing, then it turned while running, and you have an issue now. Ive had this happen several times, usually happens on 5 & 7 when doing them as theyre kind of a pita to see when youre putting them in.

webb06

Reaction score
My best guess here is mistorqued injector, ie hold down in incorrect spot when torquing, then it turned while running, and you have an issue now. Ive had this happen several times, usually happens on 5 & 7 when doing them as theyre kind of a pita to see when youre putting them in.

I've had something similar to this happen as well. It'll be a lot more evident once the valve cover is back off and you can visually inspect everything while someone cranks it over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea, it'll come off this afternoon. I should be there when it does to see what's going on.

What about a cracked injector nozzle? I changed one on another 03 last year that was acting similar to this...was throwing the same type of contribution code too.

webb06

Reaction score
Yea, it'll come off this afternoon. I should be there when it does to see what's going on.

What about a cracked injector nozzle? I changed one on another 03 last year that was acting similar to this...was throwing the same type of contribution code too.

Cracked nozzle will over fuel and typically burn up the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
There is definitely a possibilty of a cracked nozzle, howevre, it would be highly coincidental ya know. I would tend to lean towards something went wrong while it was beong worked on.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Me thinks this is supposed to be straighter than that!

0529cd44e266a2e3b6da571b32e9affc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
Well would u just look at that... Hey airfish diesel Jesus ... Is it too early for I told u so? Or should I wait. Doesn't hurt to hear out what others have seen/ experienced.

swinky

Reaction score
Well would u just look at that... Hey airfish diesel Jesus ... Is it too early for I told u so? Or should I wait. Doesn't hurt to hear out what others have seen/ experienced.
Got a badass over here.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I rolled that motor over by hand for nearly 5 solid minutes before we put valve covers back on...but I wasn't the one watching the valve train. That was the very first pushrod on #1 cylinder. Soon as I pulled the valve cover, you could see it wasn't down through the rocker box straight. Oh well, chit happens. Ain't the first bent pushrod out of a freshly assembled 6.0 out there.

Latest posts

Members online