CA emmisions

89 Stroker

Reaction score
im sure this has been answered before but does CA require a 04 6.0 to have a CAT to pass smog? thinking of getting a better exhaust system for it but noticed it does not come with a CAT on it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes, and you have to have all the monitors set. So a tune that turns egr off will cause it to fail. I hollowed my cat out and slipped it over the straight pipe and welded it in.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
truck is still stock engine wise, ended up getting a flange and making a removable cat ****** pipe and muffler ******, love the sound!

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I was asking because alot of the eastern part of CA doesn't require the every other year smog check. What some people do is get a PO Box in that area and call it their primary residence. You're probably too far away to for the convenience of that option.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I was asking because alot of the eastern part of CA doesn't require the every other year smog check. What some people do is get a PO Box in that area and call it their primary residence. You're probably too far away to for the convenience of that option.

This is true. I believe it is county by county. For instance, Tuolumne and Calaveras counties do not require smog checks on diesel (or gas for that matter).

tbsimmons

Reaction score
There is no county in CA that has no emissions testing that I am aware of. The only ones are change of ownership and it goes off the county the car is from not going too. Last time I dealt with this the car was sniff tested only no rollers because the car was registered in Columbia.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Constructionworker

Reaction score
There is no county in CA that has no emissions testing that I am aware of. The only ones are change of ownership and it goes off the county the car is from not going too. Last time I dealt with this the car was sniff tested only no rollers because the car was registered in Columbia.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. There's three types of emissions testing in CA, enhanced (rollers) , basic (tail pipe and obd 99 and older and just obd 2000 and newer) ,and the third is change of ownership only. So if you live in a area that is CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP ONLY, then you never have to smog your vehicle UNLESS you sell the vehicle. But if you live in that change of ownership testing only and sell too someone in Oklahoma , you do not have to smog test the vehicle to sell.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You just said what I did. From your last post I took that you were hinting that if you sold a car from a 1 smog county to one that had no smog you didn't have too. Well I was saying that is false, CA doesn't have them as far as I know.
I sold a car registered in Columbia to a friend that lives in Santa Clara. Your statement I took as it would require the enhanced which it did not. Tailpipe only hence the 1 smog county. Now its not rollers on 2000 and newer, plug in testing only.

Constructionworker

Reaction score
Yes exactly. But if a person bought a vehicle that was registered in a enhanced area can still test in a basic area if they start the registration process in the basic testing area.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The only way I have seen that occur is if the seller doesn't smog it and the buyer does in a basic county.