CA SMOG Issue

Golddigger

Reaction score
A lot of states are trying to follow Comifornia thinking that they are following the "green" movement. Here in Utah I spent over a month fighting my county health department for my '96 7.3 to pass. When I bought it I had to replace the CAT. They wouldn't accept it saying I altered the exhaust...WTF! Finally they decided I had already done my only option besides up grading to a new 4" or 5" system. Still passed with less that 2 ppm. You are allowed 20 ppm. It's just a political money game. Costs me more to emission my diesel at a state owned facility (monopoly) than my gassers.

CyrusLoewen

Reaction score
So if my pickup is an 04, how did I pass smog with my egr plugged off? I had no tunes to shut it off and the check engine light didn't pop up untill several weeks later? Do my shop do some interesting stuff or did the ecm or pcm or whatever thing does the thinking not know anythink was wrong yet???

bhudson

Reaction score
Maybe move out of that liberal ass state........
Without a doubt. Lived out there when I was in the Corps and briefly after I got out. Everything is way overpriced. I don't miss it and can't think of a reason I'd wanna go back there

miscott

Reaction score
Got the truck back 2 days later. Come to find out that there is a TSB for this. TSB 12-8-21, which requires reprogramming the PCM and TCM. Also the EGR recall that came out in January was never performed when the truck went in for service in March. Had the dealer performed he recall like they were supposed to do, I would have never had this problem. Just need to put a few more miles on the truck to get the PM Filter Monitor to set then off to the smog shop. I went to three different smog shops and no one would pass it unless all monitors were "Ready".

Reaction score
Got the truck back 2 days later. Come to find out that there is a TSB for this. TSB 12-8-21, which requires reprogramming the PCM and TCM. Also the EGR recall that came out in January was never performed when the truck went in for service in March. Had the dealer performed he recall like they were supposed to do, I would have never had this problem. Just need to put a few more miles on the truck to get the PM Filter Monitor to set then off to the smog shop. I went to three different smog shops and no one would pass it unless all monitors were "Ready".

It's not the smog shops discretion on monitors. See the following link http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/PubWebQuery/EtBlast/PrintMsg.aspx?QryMessageKey=38964

The new smog machines will not pass a truck unless the monitors are complete per that link. However, because the smog techs are so afraid of getting in trouble for passing a modified truck, they will refuse to smog because of incomplete monitors.

Reaction score
So if my pickup is an 04, how did I pass smog with my egr plugged off? I had no tunes to shut it off and the check engine light didn't pop up untill several weeks later? Do my shop do some interesting stuff or did the ecm or pcm or whatever thing does the thinking not know anythink was wrong yet???

The new requirements took effect as of May 4th this year. Before that any diesel could have 2 monitors not complete.

The trucks we have the most problems with are the 98-07 model years. We have had 3 7.3s come through the shop running perfectly but won't run any of the monitors. Have to send them to the Referee to pass.

superpsd

Reaction score
Still no luck passing the smog check. Shows incomplete on fuel system. No check engine lights and the truck runs fine. Have put roughly 400 miles on the truck since the first time I tried to smog it. Any suggestions?

Move to a less liberal state?

miscott

Reaction score
All of the monitors finally set and smoged the truck yesterday. Dude spent a good 15 minutes looking at the engine and under the truck. This whole experience has been a real PIA.

Latest posts

Members online