cam install without engine teardown

strokin6L

Reaction score
How many guys have installed a cam without tearing down the engine? I know its not recommended to remove the crank hub to remove the cam because the crank was balanced with the hub in it. But I thought I remembered some doing it this way....just gotta reinstall the hub on the crank the same way it came off.

04stroker

Reaction score
I've done several not a bad job. Just reinstall the rear hub in same orientation with new bolts (same as crank dampner bolts) and I put a dual indicator on the hub and turn it over afterwards to make sure it is centered.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Cool thanks Rykan! Do you put anything inside the hub...like silicon or loctite or something before you place it on the crank?

strokin6L

Reaction score
OK...yeah, I did the same thing with my spare parts engine that sits in the corner of the shop. Pulled the cam out of it this past fall and used a puller to pull the hub off the crank to get the cam out.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I'm debating to get a stage 1 cam for my small build on the truck. I'm already over budget...might as well im thinking haha! Never really checked, but the cam gear is pressed on the cam right?

MorganY

Reaction score
Do not put the crank hub adapter on incorrectly, that's all I have to say. It is possible to install without full teardown, not recommended. Be extremely careful installing the cam as not to damage the cam bearings from jousting the cam lobes into the bearing(s) directly.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Jousting...lol, thats the perfect description!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djberg

Reaction score
ya might as well let her have as much air as possible, and as of last month, there were stage one's available but the stage two's were on back order till at least mid this month.

Latest posts

Members online