Carrier bearing replace shops says new rear end

Jbird

Reaction score
Like it say i went to a few shops getting my carrier bearing replaced. One of them tried to tell me all the bearings in the rear end would need replacing and it would be iver 900 bucks. A well known local diesel shops says part and labor will be 380 and didnt say anything about the rear end. Someone please explain whats going on here. Can a bad carrier bearing really ruin all the other bearings? Im so lost lol

Stroked777

Reaction score
I think the shop saying you need all the bearings are trying to shaft you, only way I could see any bearing needing to be replaced is the pinion bearing if you have a very bad vibration that went into the pinion and possibly chewed it up. That's the only bearing I can see going bad that's related to the carrier bearing

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
The one shop with all the "rear end bearings" is might be referring to the "carrier" bearing, as in the "carrier" in the rear end, unless you were specific about what you were wanting or they diagnosed it, in that case I'm entitled to believe they were gouging you. Many people refer to the differential carrier in that manner. The confusion might have come if you weren't specific in referring to your center support bearing as the "carrier" bearing you were looking to have repaired.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
The one shop with all the "rear end bearings" is might be referring to the "carrier" bearing, as in the "carrier" in the rear end, unless you were specific about what you were wanting or they diagnosed it, in that case I'm entitled to believe they were gouging you. Many people refer to the differential carrier in that manner. The confusion might have come if you weren't specific in referring to your center support bearing as the "carrier" bearing you were looking to have repaired.

This^

eastern

Reaction score
I had gone to a shop due to a bad vibration and they replace the carrier bearing and come to find out the bearing was fine. The pinion angle was never set right when they worked on my air ride witch in turn me driving it blew the balance ring off the drive shaft.

Jbird

Reaction score
I started to wonder that BigAlsPSD but i got in contact with another diesel shop in my area and he knew exactly what i needed and wanted when i said. Even asked me if it was vibrating at specific speeds so he will be getting my business.

Latest posts

Members online