Child Seat in Super Duty

MCarter788

Reaction score
So I just got an F-250 and I found that there is no latch system in the back seat for my son's child seat. There is a tether behind the seat and them you can strap the seatbelt through the child seat, but the child seat has about 3 inches of play going left to right even when tightened down as much as possible. My wife said that she read if your child's seat has more than 1/2" play in any direction then they are not safe for use. Does anyone have any solution for this? Maybe an aftermarket latch system that can be installed or some way that I can secure this seat better? I have even gotten my tow straps out to see if I could attach them somewhere for additional strength and stabilization but there is nowhere to hook them to. Please help if you have advice. I don't feel comfortable having my child in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sagebel

Reaction score
I always put my knee into the child seat and pulled down on the seat belt. All our child seats had a pass through built into the plastic frame for a seat belt. I don't think I have ever seen a tether besides the LATCH system.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I feel your pain. The f150 offer the anchor points mounted into the floor between the seat. I want to rig up the same system in my truck. I might rig up a cable system to the floor.

I thought about using a 2000lb ratched strap also lol.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I always put my knee into the child seat and pulled down on the seat belt. All our child seats had a pass through built into the plastic frame for a seat belt. I don't think I have ever seen a tether besides the LATCH system.

The seat belts don't lock though, in my truck at least. I am going to go pick up the f150 brackets and see if I can rig them up for my truck.

MCarter788

Reaction score
The seat belts don't lock though, in my truck at least. I am going to go pick up the f150 brackets and see if I can rig them up for my truck.

Exactly what I am talking about. Will you let me know if that works with the brackets from the F150?

shoalwater

Reaction score

^^^^^^^
This is what I do, you can get them pretty darn tight this way. Once tight they are not going anywhere, mine has a couple inches of play as well. If your worried about it, use the seatbelt and the top tether and you will be good to go. I have one in a booster, one in a toddler car seat, and one in an infant car seat, so I have tried every which way there is to get them tight.

eng53ine

Reaction score

If your seat belt doesn't stay tight when you crank it down your supposed to use the little metal clip. My daughters won't move if I use it ( forward facing), but my sons base will move some when he's not in it he's rear facing.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
If your seat belt doesn't stay tight when you crank it down your supposed to use the little metal clip. My daughters won't move if I use it ( forward facing), but my sons base will move some when he's not in it he's rear facing.

Yeah, those metal clips work some what. I prefer the floor anchor system though.

sagebel

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that if you have leather seats, put something between the car seat and truck seat. It won't help with your current issue but will prevent another. I use a towel. Remove the head rest, poke the posts through one end of the towel, and reinstall. It's so nice to only have one left in a booster.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought a pad set at target for under the seat to protect my leather. it has worked like a charm. the shoulder belts do lock. you have to pull them all the way out first. I use my elbow while I pull , it has worked like a charm so far. I get the seat VERY tight, no movement at all. its just kind of a trick you have to mess with a bit. amp steps seem to help my cause. my girl loves burnouts and boosted launches, seat hasn't moved an inch, and I take it out kinda often cuz I have a few trucks.

MCarter788

Reaction score

What are the metal clips you are talking about? I would like to use them.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

you shouldn't need them in a super duty, but all child seats come with them, they look like an "H"

eng53ine

Reaction score

When you get the seatbelt tight I hooks on to the belt, kinda looks like two Cs hooked back to back. Suppose to be an inch away from the seat buckle works like the piece on a bag strap that keeps your straps adjusted. It should be on hooked on the back or bottom of the seat, if it hasn't already been removed. I can get a pic of one if you would like.

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

MCarter788

Reaction score
When you get the seatbelt tight I hooks on to the belt, kinda looks like two Cs hooked back to back. Suppose to be an inch away from the seat buckle works like the piece on a bag strap that keeps your straps adjusted. It should be on hooked on the back or bottom of the seat, if it hasn't already been removed. I can get a pic of one if you would like.

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

If you could get a pic of one that would be very helpful. I think I am fixing to upgrade his car seat anyways so maybe it will come with one of those. If not or until then I need to get one soon.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
LockingClip.jpg

Jesse_01

Reaction score

Clean-15

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that if you have leather seats, put something between the car seat and truck seat. It won't help with your current issue but will prevent another. I use a towel. Remove the head rest, poke the posts through one end of the towel, and reinstall. It's so nice to only have one left in a booster.

That's a great idea, I'm going to go buy a black towel!

Latest posts

Members online