Cleaned HFCM, now losing FP

6speedsd

Reaction score
Is it just a generic kit, or Specific to these trucks?

I still don't see why quality fuel line wouldn't work. Get it slid up past the barb on the hard lines and double clamp it with some fuel injection clamps. Why wouldn't that hold?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
I did not, but I will next chance I get.

So they make you buy the whole thing...hfcm to tank. I'm sure Ford is quite proud of it too. Not buying it just yet...just getting ideas. Will check that connector/o-ring out next chance I get as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I ran a sump and just pushed fuel line over that connector. It's on the suction side there won't be any issues.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, that happiness was short lived. Couldn't find anything wrong with the oring in the connector. Just cut that beotch off and ran some fuel line back to the factory hard line. Double clamped it, cycled the pump a few times to make sure it wouldn't leak, and fired her off. Needle on the gauge actually stabilized, wasn't fluctuating like before, so I got happy, grabbed a beer, and went inside to clean up while the truck warmed up. Came back out 5 minutes later, and the needle is bouncing up and down. Dammit! Checked for leaks again....nothing. Went up the road, pressure dropping just like before. Get back under the truck, and notice the pressure side connector has a drop of fuel about to drop off. Pull it, orings look good. Just happen to slide the protective cover back over the short flexible section of line....it's saturated. Ok, I've had that line off several times lately...maybe just got covered by dripping fuel. Cleaned it off as best as I could, and went for a short ride again. Crawl underneath when I get back, and that flexible section is wet again. Apparently, it's leaking there, which would explain the pressure drop I guess.

Is it common for that flexible section to leak? Now to find a replacement.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Not common, but with as many times as youve had that stuff off it definitely doesnt surprise me.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Reading the description it seems like it would. I guess there is only one way to find out though. The nly problem that i see is a possibility that the quick connect is too shallow or deep to where it wont connect properly. But that is something you wont know till you try it.

6speedsd

Reaction score
That was my only concern....it looks shallow. They all do in the pics anyways.

mandkole

Reaction score
if you could compare the Mustang male fuel system connectors to yours it should tell you. Most of those summit connectors are will-fit for common car systems.

mandkole

Reaction score
To be NHRA compliant and for performance builds, many late model car fuel systems are updated. Most of the market for those types of female quick connects grow out of that need. If you can get the dimensions of a late model mustang fuel system male QC component and compare it to yours, you will be able to quickly see if it fits dimensionally. Hopefully they are the same.

6speedsd

Reaction score
To be NHRA compliant and for performance builds, many late model car fuel systems are updated. Most of the market for those types of female quick connects grow out of that need. If you can get the dimensions of a late model mustang fuel system male QC component and compare it to yours, you will be able to quickly see if it fits dimensionally. Hopefully they are the same.
Copy that, I follow you now.
There might be something wrong with the DTRM valve
On two totally different hfcm's? Be a hell of a coincidence.

I'm going to redo my test drawing fuel out of the tank, and dumping into a clear jug now that I've replaced the supply line on the suction side. Part of me still wonders if it's an issue in tank. I drove it into town a bit ago. You have to drive like peepaw to keep pressure above 50. I'm talking staying under 20% pedal. I'll eventually get it all squared away.

6speedsd

Reaction score
When I unhook my suction side line from the HFCM (coming from the tank), fuel starts running out of it like there is pressure in the tank. It's not full force coming out, but a slow flow. That can't be normal?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No thats normal depending on how much fuel is in t h e tank. Itcreates a siphon effect. Made quite a few messes waiting on the parts department to pull the new pump due to this.

mandkole

Reaction score
The good news is that if it siphons real good, theres likely no air leaks there.

Still seems like theres something going on inside the hfcm from the disassembly.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Makes sense.

I'm still not convinced the issue isn't there....however, putting a used HFCM on it, that hadn't been disassembled, yet yielding the exact same result? I know I've said this a lot, but that would be a hell of a coincidence to have the same problem with two separate units.

Still considering taking the one off my old mans 03 and just seeing what happens. Wouldn't take long to do the swap, and would rule out the HFCM once and for all.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, did my test again, since I replace the suction line from the tank. Drawing fuel out of the tank, emptying into a clear jug. First 3 cycles of the pump produced no air at all...just pure fuel. From there it went to hell. Cycle 4 and 5 were incredibly aereated, foaming up in the jug like before.

So if by the line having the suction it does out of the tank when unhooked means I shouldn't have any type of leak towards or in the tank, then this issue just about has to be HFCM related. Maybe my "hell of a coincidence" really is just that....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.