Cleaning head gaskets

907DAVE

Reaction score
From the manual:

NOTE: The cylinder head cleaning and the cylinder head distortion check procedures are different than other engines. Watching the video prior to carrying out the procedure may be helpful if doing the procedure for the first time.
NOTICE: Do not clean the cylinder heads with steel scrapers or blades, which can cause scratches or gouges that result in leak paths. Also, do not use rotary abrasive tools including: pads, disc, wire brushes, sand paper or emery cloth. These products can alter the surface finish of the head, adversely affecting the combustion chamber sealing.

NOTICE: Cleaning the cylinder head employing any other method may cause a non-warrantable condition.

NOTE: Use a brass scraper such as the Grainger 5LL98 brass scraper and a non-abrasive Scotch-Brite(TM) General Purpose Scouring Pad 96, or equivalent to clean the cylinder head.

With the valves installed, clean all the cylinder head gasket surfaces with metal brake parts cleaner and a brass scraper to remove the hardened carbon deposits. Repeat the process as necessary to remove the hardened carbon deposits. Then, use the general purpose scouring pad to remove the remaining residual deposits.

Use only a lint-free rag to wipe the head gasket surface after cleaning.

NOTE: Staining of the metal surface is normal and does not affect sealing ability.

NOTE: Witness marks or indentations in the cylinder head resulting from the head gasket fire rings are normal and do not affect sealing ability.

Clean all bolt holes and be sure that the gasket surfaces, oil return holes and coolant passages are clean. After rinsing thoroughly in hot water, blow the passages out using filtered compressed air.

MarkSmith

Reaction score
These are what I refer to. Sorry for the delay.

Leaves a nice smooth finish. Never had a problem with gaskets sealing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367639514092.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367639514092.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 57

Alfie

Reaction score
^^^ still not recommended by ford. But on the flip side come co-workers clean them using this with no issues but I haven't. I stick to my good oh brass scraper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01PSD

Reaction score
I dont see a problem with using them as long as you dont go crazy. Just knock the bulk of it off with the disks.

Twan

Reaction score
Thanks. The tech told me how he cleaned them, and told me some of the stuff he has seem come in. So I just wanted to see how others did it.

co04cobra

Reaction score
These are what I refer to. Sorry for the delay.

Leaves a nice smooth finish. Never had a problem with gaskets sealing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

You can't beat the way these clean without taking off material.

01PSD

Reaction score
What about the block surface? I know damn well the Ford tech's used a roloc disk on my block surface at least one time.

I see no problem with using a roloc disk to just knock off the bigger stuff. Just don't sit there and grind away with them LOL That's what we did followed by the honing stones.

ford_trck

Reaction score
A 2x4 with finer grit sandpaper and some oil. Once you have the large stuff off then use it to go in an x pattern across the block surface.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.