Cleaning Intake Manifold?

Fenner408

Reaction score
So today I decided to clean my MAP and IAT sensors. Wow. The IAT had like a 1/4 inch of build up on it and the MAP was completely covered. I had to scrape the bung out with a small screw driver just to see in the intake. The intake is BAD. Is there any way to clean it while on the truck? I know not to use Sea Foam, but is the another product that would work?

BFT

Reaction score
Not really. These manifolds are CAKED with crap due to the EGR. You best bet is to take it off and clean it or have a machine shop hot tank it for you.

BFT

Reaction score
I have a new intake manifold and have tacked on over 6k in the last month. Just recently I took off my intake elbow and piping to test fit some parts and it was clean as a whistle.

If by chance you do go about cleaning it, I suggest you also do CCV mod... Or do it anyway, haha

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
What beef broth said. If you ever get it off te truck to clean, a good soak in some type of Mineral Spirits before the hot tank process helps out.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
I remember looking in mine when I put the new adapter plate on for my CFM. It was full of gunk. Hopefully gonna get the ported manifold and CCV this summer to take care of that.

Fenner408

Reaction score
What do you guys think about if remove the intake elbow and all the sensors. Then use the aerosol Sea-Foam and hose down as much as I can then put it back together and run the hell outta it.

BFT

Reaction score
As delicate as these trucks are now, I'd hate to see you begin to throw codes necause of debris.

White_monster

Reaction score
What do you guys think about if remove the intake elbow and all the sensors. Then use the aerosol Sea-Foam and hose down as much as I can then put it back together and run the hell outta it.

Your gonna spray that stuff inside then hose it out with water? Tell me your joking? Water going in the cylinders won't be pe pretty but please film your start up for us.

gman1

Reaction score
Your gonna spray that stuff inside then hose it out with water? Tell me your joking? Water going in the cylinders won't be pe pretty but please film your start up for us.

I think he meant hose it down with sea foam. Thats how I read it but I may be wrong.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
Could you not do what I did with my TDI manifold that plugged almost comepletely and burn it out. Here is a thread on how they have been cleaning them http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320812&highlight=cleaning+intake+manifold . Once it burnt the ash came right out with little effort and water. Let it sit and dry then all was good. I used a shop vac on blow to force air into the manifold. Worked well for me and the TDI.

derrick36

Reaction score
Could you not do what I did with my TDI manifold that plugged almost comepletely and burn it out. Here is a thread on how they have been cleaning them http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320812&highlight=cleaning+intake+manifold . Once it burnt the ash came right out with little effort and water. Let it sit and dry then all was good. I used a shop vac on blow to force air into the manifold. Worked well for me and the TDI.

I'm not sure that's the best idea since the OP is looking for a way to clean it while it's still on his truck.

If it was off the truck he could just have it hot tanked.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
Well I was saying this cause on the truck it just won't happen. It would be a waste of time as it wouldn't clean it very well and could cause lots of other issues. This is a cheap DIY alternative to the hot tank at a machine shop. Just an fyi since they been doing this to TDI manifolds for years. Cleaning them is the easier part as mine took all of 45 min to burn out and then get the ash out. R&R would take the most time and with that needing to be done to send it to the machine shop or diy I would choose to do it myself.

Last edited:

mhop

Reaction score
Run water meth on it. im sure after 1-2K miles it should be pretty clean. thats what im doing with mine. Plus i got the meth kit for free.

Latest posts

Members online