Clogged cat

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
I took my 2006 f350 6.0 in for check engine light. Told me it was under boost, changed exhaust sensor, cleaned boots, turbo works fine. They think its a clogged cat converter / getting too much back presssure, and want to install a straight pipe for $500. Sounds kinda high, i dont know, Will that affect my mpg ,sound, performance?
Keep my old cat to resell?
Just confused about it.
Thanks for any help.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
you can buy the exhaust kit from 250-400 and install yourself.

sound will be louder, not so much whistle since yours is a 06. performance is better as in response, mpg? varies.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Buy yourself a turbo back exhaust kit and be done. And exactly what "exhaust sensor" are you referring to? There are no exhaust sensors on a 6.0, unless youre referring to the exhaust backpressure sensor. You wont regret straight piping it. Buy a 4" kit if you dont want it loud, 5" if you like the exhaust sound and a lot of turbo whistle

co04cobra

Reaction score
Very little of that story makes sense. What was the code? No exhaust sensor, but a bad ebp sensor or clogged tube will make a difference in performance.

How are you judging "turbo works fine"?

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
Back pressure sensor. Is what I meant. Cleaned ans inspected boots.
Turbo running 22-28 lbs boost under load
Computer says too much back pressure. They said clogged cat causing the problem
$500 installed for straight pipe.
Code po299
Only comes on at idle with a/c on.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Did they clean the tube for the ebps out also or just the sensor? Has coolant been dripping on the sensor? Thats usually what ruins them

ghohouston

Reaction score
Gotcha. I personally would not ever pay money for any emissions device. Id buy an exhaust kit and do the work yourself. Theyre pretty straight forward to install

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
Ok guys,
Turns out o be a clogged exhaust system somewhere. Their replacing the whole exhaust from the turbo back for $500. #8 glow plug replaced and wire harness, back pressure sensor, and new exhaust, new tires.
He said the turbo might be louder, which is fine with me, 4 in exhaust.
Will this help mpg? Performance?

ghohouston

Reaction score
The only real differences you will notice are exhaust sound and a bit quicker spool up/ acceleration. 4" exhaust is QUIET by my standards. I really dont like the way it sounds on any diesel, buy to each his own. And the only part of the exhaust system that can become "clogged" is the cat. The exhaust will not effect your mileage, unless you floor it all the time because you like the sound too much.

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
Got her home yesterday,
New exhaust,pressure exhaust sensor,glow plug wire harness, #8 new glow plug.
Runs like a bat outta hell.
Turbo whistle louder. Love it. Will press you against the seat under WOT
Yippee. Giddy up.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I don't know how people can stand driving stock tuned 6.0's LOL Order up an SCT for that thing and really enjoy it!

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
This MBRP exhaust is amazing. Picked up 2 mpg today. Is supposed to also pick 18 hp and 28 foot pounds
Now getting 15.5. Mpg

IF I keep my foot out it. It DOES have more giddy up and no hesitation anymore.

superBADduty

Reaction score
ghohouston The only real differences you will notice are exhaust sound and a bit quicker spool up/ acceleration. 4" exhaust is QUIET by my standards. I really dont like the way it sounds on any diesel, buy to each his own. And the only part of the exhaust system that can become "clogged" is the cat. The exhaust will not effect your mileage, unless you floor it all the time because you like the sound too much.

What don't you like about the way a 4" exhaust sounds? Do you like the 5" exhaust better?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I personally just think it sounds gay. Yes I prefer the sound of 5". Im yet to hear a cummins, duramax, or powerstroke with 4" exhaust that I like the sound of. Its too quiet, less turbo whistle, and not a low/deep enough tone for my taste. But like I said, to each his own

Latest posts

Members online